Thread: My daughters first bird

My daughters first bird

Hello to everyone from Oklahoma City, Ok I picked up this little 63 2 door for my daughter she wanted a classic and something she could work on while driving. She loves old cars I have a 49 shoebox coupe that I am building and she enjoys helping me out and learning. She graduates High School and Vo-tech in May of 2015 and we plan on having it on the road by spring for her graduation. It wont be painted by then it will be in patina her choice. She plans on painting it later.

We got it up on jack stands and pulled the wheel off and got the brakes tore down on one side. She replaced her motor mounts to get it ready to see if we could get it running after sitting for 14 years the motor wasn't stuck so its worth a shot. We rebuild the carb, changed the oil and filter, new plugs, wires, cap, points and condenser. replaced the fuel pump and filter. The gas tank was pretty dirty so we used an old antifreeze jug for a gas tank.

The valve cover is loose do to us making sure the valves were not stuck when we turned it over by hand that's the noise under the hood, other then that it sounds great. you gotta love a ford six tough as nails.

First start video
    http://youtu.be/KnEyhjJXyGg

After we got it running we found out the generator wasn't charging. we took a trip to the salvage yard located a alternator off of a 76 f 150 we took the brackets just in case. we then went to the parts store a picked up a solid state regulator and did some modification to generator to engine bracket and used the top bracket off the f150 wired it up and she charged just fine.
    Last edited by hardluckharv; December 27th, 2014 at 11:59 AM.

Dude that is awesome. It's good to see a youngster interested in older cars. Way to go getting it back on the road.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Falcon Deluxe

Thanks for the video. The look of surprised joy on your daughter's face when the engine started was great.

It is amazing that the engine started so easily and ran so well.

falcon_auto_sticker_black_oval.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

If you have poked around on our site much, I'm sure you will see that most of us think swapping to a Dual Master Cylinder is a great upgrade.

I think it is especially important with a new driver where the shock of having the brake pedal drop to the floor may lead to a few seconds of paralyses. I's a shock even for us old timers that has experienced that particular failure.

Nice work involving her in the fix-up. She will be the envy of her friends when it breaks down and she can lift the hood and diagnose/repair to get everyone on their way.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)