Thread: 1961 tie rod issues

1961 tie rod issues

Back again with more questions. I decided to throw all new tie rods on my 61 since they looked like they needed it. Did a lot of research and the part numbers that seem to pop up are ES317R for inner and ES317L for outer. I got the tie rods put on pretty quick and took it into the shop to get an alignment done. They call me and say it looks like one of the tie rod ends is defective. Seemed kind of strange but I figure it can happen, so I take the car back home. I get a new part and swap out the one they say is bad. Take it back in and they say it still won't align and that another tie rod might be bad. I tell them to keep it and find the right part. They contact me a few days later and now say the adjusting sleeve is stripped out and they will order a new one. The next time they call, they say that the new sleeve didn't work and they have ordered all new tie rods from a restoration shop! So now I'm really confused. I searched the internet high and low and the part numbers that always come up are ES317R and ES317L no matter the brand. I can't seem to find anything else but those. Did the 1960-1961 have some kind of unique tie rod ends or are they just doing something wrong at the shop?

Let me know of any advice or info....something doesn't seem right on this.

thanks,
    Andrew

Did they ever say what it was they couldn't accomplish due to what they were seeing? How, other than extreme wear, could they say a tie-rod is defective? Was the taper too small/big (sloppy in the spindle)? Was it that they were trying to toe-out and it was running out of thread to draw the tie-rods inward enough?

Anyway, sounds very fishy. But need to know more about what they were claiming it wasn't or was doing.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

Thanks for the response. It all seems to be something wrong with the threading on the new tie rod ends, at least that is what they think. Even though when I installed all the new tie rod ends the first time they went in smooth and easy. The first time they said it wasn't keeping the alignment, they mentioned that when they would adjust one tie rod end it would move the other one they weren't adjusting. So it seemed screwing one in more would push the other one out. Pretty strange. The parts didn't act weird or strange when I installed them on the car. With the new parts they just ordered, that will be 3 different brands......hard to believe that the new parts they ordered will fix the problem.

thanks,
    Andrew

Still sound fishy to me.

Tie-rods are supposed to be at a length with the adjusting sleeve so that when they are in the middle of their travel there is enough room left to move toe-in as much as may be needed either + or -.

You might have gone elsewhere for a second opinion. Falcons might be confusing guys used to working on rack-n-pinion steering.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

Yeah I guess I will see what the "new" tie rod ends that they ordered do. They are supposed to be in tomorrow. I have a feeling that they will do the same thing as the other parts. After that I guess I will take it somewhere else. Hope I can get this figured out. I don't want a $70 alignment to turn into a $500 dollar job.

Thanks again,
    Andrew

Just a thought......there's not a specific left or right side part for the inner or outer tie rods right? Basically if I bought 2 inner or 2 outer tie rod ends it wouldn't matter which side they went on, as long as I used the inner in the correct place and the outer in the correct place....this is the only thing I could think of that might cause a problem. But if they were left or right side specific you would think they wouldn't even thread on if I had them on the wrong side.....man this whole thing is driving me kinda crazy!

You'll have outers with a thread going in one direction and inner threads in the opposite direction. In theory, if the taper and shape of the tie-rods are identical, it would not matter if the inners and outers got swapped. Basically you'd put them as they are called-out-as just so you could know to buy the correct part in the future if it needed replacement. In the end you clearly can't have two inners on one side and two outers on the other, no matter what.

Considering the tie-rods only adjust toe, they can only be a) too long, b) too short, c) incorrect thread depth/length/diameter, or d) wrong taper, or e) wrong shape (to cause binding against the drag link or spindle). I can think of nothing to cause the adjustment of one side to "move" the other side. Adjusting one side increases the 'overall' toe and position of the steering wheel. You shift centering the steering wheel by moving each side the same amount so as to keep toe the same, but rotate the steering wheel in relation to the drag link.

Anyway... makes me nervous when I hear shops give vague descriptions of failure. They'll make profit on these new parts. That much is for sure.

Not sure where you are, but Gene turned me onto a shop up north (south Everett) who's done my Ranchero twice. They knew what they were doing.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"