Thread: Dingman Ranchero Cap

Dingman Ranchero Cap

Hey Ranchero folks,

Did you see the June National FCA newsletter? Page 20-21 has a `65 with a cap I've never seen before. But I don't follow Rancheros that closely so it may be common.

It was manufactured by the Dingman Corporation. It's more of a full cap that comes up just past the roofline, whereas the Protect-o-Top like Roger and Gene have is a flat lid on top of the cargo area. I like both but the cap gives the Ranchero a wagon look.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd drag down my scanner and post a photo. I didn't find anything about the company on Google. The guy got it for $25 and put in $300 for shipping and prep/paint. Makes me want to find one and then find a Ranchero to go under it!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I did see the cap in the latest issue and was surprised. I liked it too! I hadn't heard of the Dingman either. I've been watching eBay for about five years and have never seen a Falcon Ranchero cap on there. I had caps for both my 1969 and my 1973 Rancheros though and liked them very much. They were both Gem Tops if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by SmithKid; June 15th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Yea, I see a lot of 70's Rancheros and El Caminos with the caps or toppers. That must be when they started to become popular. I've never seen an early 60s with one before this.

The Gem Tops where probably the most popular. Leer was another big one and their web site says they started in the late 60s.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I haven't received my June copy yet

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

It's pretty cool. If I was ambitious I'd make a canopy too for mine. I'm not that ambitious.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"