Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Drag Racing

Hot Rods

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    [SIZE=4] And after installing that 100 pound third member I figured heck with worrying about the weight.
    Questions for Larry:
    What is a "third member"?
    What do you think is the curb weight of you car now, and what horsepower are you making?
    Do you have an automatic or manual, and what are your gear ratios up front and in back?

Question for Gene:
    Did your 49 Ford have a six or an eight?

1949Ford-main1.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 28th, 2016 at 02:15 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

A very tired V-8. It was reclaimed from a Anchorage, AK wrecking yard where I drove a tow truck and "grunted" for the mechanic/owner.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Drag Racing

Dennis, my car has a Tremec T5Z transmission with a 2.95 first gear with the 5th or overdrive ratio at .63.

The third member is the center section of the rear end, the ring and pinion gearing, posi-traction assembly, etc. MY rear end gearing is now 4.11

My car is putting out 400 horsepower with 336 H.P at the rear wheels. The torque numbers are quite a bit higher.

As far as curb weight, haven't a clue. The fiberglas stereo surround in the trunk is adding quite a bit of weight.

Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

[SIZE=3]My car is putting out 400 horsepower with 336 H.P at the rear wheels.
    Hello, Larry.

That is really impressive. I greatly admire the new 2016 Ford Mustang GT and can use it as a measuring stick against what you have:

Your first-gear to rear end ratio is 2.95*4.11 = 12.12.
    The Mustang GT with an automatic in first-gear is 4.17*3.15 = 13.13.

The Mustang Coyote 5.0 L V-8 makes 435 HP and 400 lb-ft torque and the car weighs 3,729 lbs.

Your Falcon makes 400 HP and weighs (my guess) 3300 lbs. Maybe 3200 lbs.

You appear to be very competitive with the new Mustang, which is amazing considering the amount of technology that Ford dumped into their new car and new small block Coyote V-8 engine.

Go, Larry!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 29th, 2016 at 02:07 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Drag Racing

Well, installing a drive shaft loop might be an easy job for some, but it has been a pain for me. Have a lot of the car tore apart now.

Had to take out the seats, the console, take loose the fuel and brake lines from inside the drive shaft tunnel.

Have the carpet pulled up to drill holes and install fasteners through the loop support.

Installed the line lock module, now have to finish the tubing to the front brakes and then do the wiring.

Once the brake lines are done, then have to bleed the brakes.

After that, just have to install the shift light. Then go over to Rogers and test the line lock on his street. My cul-de-sac is too short. Kidding.

As a side note, I will be gone the whole month of April and into May, so everyone help Don get his car done so he can make it to the car shows. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Missed this... Sorry Larry. Sounds like we'll miss you at the swap meet. If you have anything you want to sell-off there, you can bring it over to my place when you test your line-locks out.

This is going to be quite a different car than it was. Next you'll have slicks!

005.jpg

002.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Drag Racing

Attached is a link to Hot Rod Drag Week West that is going on this weekend in Phoenix and Tucson. There are quite a few pictures of my brothers 64 Black Fairlane. His best run today was 12.18 @ 110mph. Then they had to drive the car from Phoenix to Tucson on a 180 mile route. Tomorrow they race in Tucson and drive back to Phoenix for the final day of racing there Sunday. They may not have the races in October this year like they did last year. So, guess I will have to wait for next year. larry

http://www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod...-whos-missing/
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Attached is a link to Hot Rod Drag Week West that is going on this weekend in Phoenix and Tucson.
    Hello, Larry.

The listed cars range from a 1926 Model T to a 2015 Corvette.

"64 Hot Rod Mike Swan 1926 Ford Model T
    36 Street Eliminator Ed Urcis 2015 Chevrolet Corvette"

Given that there is obviously no exclusion of new vehicles, it is surprising that the overwhelming majority of participants are all driving cars that are about 50 years old. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Thanks for posting, Dennis.

Power to the People: Happy Birthday to the Ford Flathead V8
    by Michael Accardi on March 31, 2016

See: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/2016/...rticleComments

(You have to scroll up to get to the article when the display appears. I think that the little V-8 coupe really looks sharp.)
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 4th, 2016 at 08:59 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Drag Racing

Here is a link to Hot Rod Magazine that gives a good story about my brothers Fairlane and a lot of pics. Larry
    http://www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod...-drag-weekend/
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I see a little sibling "rivalry" here.

Nice article and nice car too. Enjoyed seeing it at the mini.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"