Thread: 5-Speed Tremic in 65 Ranchero

5-Speed Tremic in 65 Ranchero

I was just given a 5-speed Tremic from a late model Mustang, I think 2001ish... I was told 1-4 works OK but, the gear box won't go into 5th gear, so I will have to open it up to see what the problem is. I'm hoping it's just a yoke arm broken. (I Hope) I don't have the transmission yet, so when I get it from my friend he will let me know the year Mustang it came from.

I would like to put this in my son/I's 65 Ranchero. Since he drives the highway every day with the Ranchero it would help him with gas mileage. Has anyone done this and if so what special fabrication if any is needed. The Ranchero is already a 4-speed. TIA

jerry-
    GT-350H

It can be done. There are some fit issues. The shifter will come up through the floor at a floor brace in it's stock state. You can fix that by finding an old 5 speed S-10 truck. The S10 T5 is shorter. It won't handle much power so you want to take the tail shaft and housing from that and use it on the Mustang T5. Then the shifter will come up close to where the stock one is.

What engine do you have. The T5 is easy behind a V8. The L6 may be more of a challenge. It's probably just a matter of finding the right bellhousing. The later 200L6 has a dual bolt pattern and is probably the easiest to work with.

You already have the clutch pedal setup so you have a couple of choices. One is to get a cable clutch kit. The other is to go hydraulic. Cable would be easiest but the hydraulic would be the best.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

on this note...if anyone comes across a real good 'tech' on putting the T5 on a early 6...that would be very nice!!
    I sorta plan on doing it in the spring with one of mine...so NO rush..by any means
    sorry for the 'sudo' hyjack
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    It can be done. There are some fit issues. The shifter will come up through the floor at a floor brace in it's stock state. You can fix that by finding an old 5 speed S-10 truck. The S10 T5 is shorter. It won't handle much power so you want to take the tail shaft and housing from that and use it on the Mustang T5. Then the shifter will come up close to where the stock one is.

What engine do you have. The T5 is easy behind a V8.
    ** The 65 Ranchero is an original 4-speed 289 car. It still has the original motor. I think it was rebuilt a long time ago. What our plan is to find a 302 we can rebuild and then put the T-5 behind it. As for the S10 tail shaft, my son works at a local GM dealer so he can purchase the tail shaft there if we cannot find one through a wrecker.

You already have the clutch pedal setup so you have a couple of choices. One is to get a cable clutch kit. The other is to go hydraulic. Cable would be easiest but the hydraulic would be the best.
    ** I will probably go with a juice clutch and throw out bearing assembly.

Thank you for the info. I can now start looking for the correct parts.

jerry-
    GT-350H

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Alfaro View Post
    ** I will probably go with a juice clutch and throw out bearing assembly.

Thank you for the info. I can now start looking for the correct parts.

jerry-
    Hey Guys,

I found this link to a complete detailed description on how to install a 5-speed in a Falcon.

http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/restoration/T5.htm

it can be downloaded as a Word file if you like. I'm going to download and convert it to a PDF file.

jerry-
    GT-350H

[quote=Jerry Alfaro;3221]Hey Guys,

I found this link to a complete detailed description on how to install a 5-speed in a Falcon.

http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/restoration/T5.htm

it can be downloaded as a Word file if you like. I'm going to download and convert it to a PDF file.

I have converted the Word file to a PDF for those of you who do not have Word. Send me your email address in a private message and I will send the PDF file. It's a bit over 400K in size.

jerry-
    GT-350H

sweet!!
    Thanx jerry
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"