Thread: Ideal classic (carb) V8 for restomod falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ideal classic (carb) V8 for restomod falcon

Just messing around here with no car to work on, so dreaming about the next falcon I want to someday add to my collection and looking at what's out there. Since my current falcon is relatively slow...next one needs to be fast, and maybe a two door convertible. I'm seeing some nice 63's out there ready for an engine swap.

I'd love to hear thoughts from you guys about the "ideal" classic (carb) V8 to drop in a falcon. Fast, reliable, and easy to get. Did I say fast? But no big custom work. something that just drops in- by just buying the mounts would be ideal.

And is there a five speed tranny that would match up? Would the rear end also have to be upgraded?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

The easiest and best option, IMHO, would be a later 5.0 roller/EFI engine with a T5 transmission. Just pull off the EFI intake and other EFI stuff and add your favorite carb and intake manifold.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Ideal classic (carb) V8 for restomod falcon

What kind of fast? Fast top end, low end? Trouble is, where do you get to go fast? The only place around here that I seem to be able to get on the throttle is at on ramps to the freeway. I did get over a 100 on the freeway between Reno and Carson City, but that is dangerously expensive if caught. My son in law has the Audi sports car and recently got a ticket for going over 100 and it cost more than a grand. Not counting insurance increases I imagine.

I am in total in agreement with Pat. For reliability the 302 is the engine. It can be stroked out to 331 or 347 easily and is not too expensive, You can get anywhere from 200-2000 horsepower out of those depending on dollars.
    For horsepower, the heads are where the money goes and the power come from. Then the intake, and then the carb/injection.
    I have duals, but they are not made for horsepower, more for looks. They perform well, but not as good as the big four barrel or injection. Turbo?
    The T5 that I installed is absolutely the best investment I put into my car. Next, I really enjoy the E cutouts I installed. Now it sounds as loud as it is fast. Now they are half the price that I paid for my set. Just the kid in me I guess. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I can echo what both Pat and Larry said. A roller 302 (5.0 liter) is a drop-in for a 60-65 Falcon. If my 289 in the Ranchero ever goes, that's what I'll be doing. Roller motors also run a lot cooler than flat tappet. A good portion of the heat in a flat tappet motor comes from the friction on the cam. It has taken a lot to get my .060 over 289 to run cool enough.

T5 (5-speed) or any one of the other Tremec 5 or 6 speeds are very available.

As for going fast, I like the feel of just something with power. Even when going from 0-35 MPH. I could easily get into trouble with it, but most new cars can still out-run it. Lila's Kia Optima with its turbo-charged 2.0 liter is rated at 275 HP and really goes if you want it to. So, it's all relative.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"