Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Update pics

Quote: "Again, we need a whip-cracking emoji."

There's lotsa free whip-cracking stuff on the interweb. Like this?
    There's even some animated w/sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SmithKid; January 11th, 2017 at 06:04 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Still looking, but there is this now:

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thumbs up

Like!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Update pics

Okay, so now I have no reason to not get the whip cracking. Carol just showed me old pictures showing I started my car in 2007. Wow. 10 whole years of this. My goodness, time is flying.
    Just went to a memorial service for a very good friend from my golf league. His father also plays in the league and is close to my age. He wasn't even 50 years old. So, moral to this story is, God only gives us a specific number of days. I better get cracking. larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Update pics

Still haven't finished the 9" rear end installation. Sitting at home with a sore throat, fever, headaches and feeling like crap.
    Friends asked me to post some pics of my car on facebook. Here is what I posted. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Still haven't finished the 9" rear end installation. Sitting at home with a sore throat, fever, headaches and feeling like crap.
    Friends asked me to post some pics of my car on facebook. Here is what I posted. Larry

Nice photos. Get better - the crud hit me this past week also. Definitely prefer that it didn't
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Update pics

As I mentioned in the All Ford Show post, I couldn't make it because something let loose in my engine. Heard a good loud pop, then started stuttering a little. Made enough noise when running that I had it towed 3 miles home.
    I figured it was a roller rocker or push rod issue and was right. Pulled the right valve cover off and found a broken stud in the head. The nut had backed off at least an 1/8" before it broke. Put a few nicks in the rocker. Took a couple of pics.
    I cannot get the broken end of the stud out of the tightening nut, so may have to get a new stud and nut.
    I think this will be the only problem , the pushrod is still straight and don't think the valve could do any damage to the piston. So, my plan for right now is to reinstall a new stud, reset the lifters and see what happens.
    If anyone has some comments or thoughts on anything else that could have happened please let me know. Hope I get it correct before next weekends Maltby show. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Do you remember the brand of the studs? Were they ARP or did they come with your roller kit? If they were no names I may consider replacing all.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I'll second Jeff's comment. Seem very odd to pull the top off of a good-brand stud. I'd get a set of ARP studs, especially if you're still going to race it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Update pics

The studs came pre-installed on the AFR 185 heads. I don't think it was a stud problem as much as it was operator error. The nut on that stud had backed off almost 1/4". I think the rocker just got caught rocking back and forth and snapped the stud. It made a loud pop for sure.
    These heads are known as some of the best for racing so not too worried about the studs. Just worry about me getting them tight when they are adjusted. These lifters have always made quite a bit of noise and I have checked them twice before. Just left one a little loose I think. More to come I am sure. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I went to AFR's website and found an interesting footnote about their AFR 185's. So, I am going to replace all the studs and will have to replace all the roller rockers to 7/16 also. Poopers. Larry
    Footnotes

1. AFR Small Block Ford
      • We strongly recommend using 7/16" rocker studs with today's fast cam rates and RPM capabilities as 3/8" Rocker Studs can occasionally break.

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Now they tell you...

You would think they'd just use the 7/16 studs and be done with it. So all new studs and new rockers both.

You mentioned they were noisy all along, which has been stressing me out with my Ranchero motor. I readjusted the valves because I thought they were not set right after my rocker/guide plate/push-rod issue a while back. They we set right, but it seems noisy roller rockers is a thing. Chased it down of YouTube and Google and so many have this issue. Nobody says, or seems to know, what is clacking exactly. But now I'm obsessed with leaning why!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"