Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side and window trim remaoval

Side and window trim remaoval

Is there already a subject for that here I am ready to remove trim and windows here we go LOL....
    Marion Cain

64 Falcon Futura, Grenada Front Disc
    5 Lug Conversion, 302, Still putting together.

More about my falcon can be found here. Codes and a short video of Stella when I first got here.
    Also here you can find images Here

That stuff is tricky. Go slow!!!!! The best way I found to get mine off was to pull the top edge away from the car. You have to lift it up a bit to release the lip of the trim and then it pulls down. I actually used a pair of regular slip joint pliers and a soft shop towel. Wrap the towel over the trim grab the trim with the pliers and gently pull the top edge towards yourself (away from the car) and it released rather easily. Just go very slow and use finesse instead of force. The drip rail molding is very soft a second set of hand is good to hold it up for you so it doesn't twist up on you.
    Good Luck.

Thanks Steve,

OK I found my major issue here tonight LOL. The driver side front fender chrome was bolted in every spot, (Thinking it was more then repaired at one point) not just the ends as I have been reading. My chrome (STAINLESS) is in great shape. all of it on the body came off easy for the most part and polished really well, I did a few test.

But Im curious has anyone seen a Falcon just use the Chevron and disguard the rest of the Trim on this style car. Stella is a 2 door Post Futura. Just curious how it would look. Im painting Her Emerald Green Metallic. Other concern is I am not sure it will look good without the Door Post Trim and the Window Trim.

Curious to see your opinions on the trim
    Marion Cain

More about my falcon can be found here. Codes and a short video of Stella when I first got here.

While going to shows around here and especially in Reno, I have seen 64's with different ideas on the trim. Some had the chevrons with no trim so that works. Just do what you think you want for the look you're after. I really believe that a lot of people leave the trim off because it is really hard to repair, and then very expensive to refinish.

The cost to have the trim re-anodized was a lot so I re-did them myself. I used the old type oven cleaner to remove all the old anodizing which in itself took many many hours. Then, I gently tapped out all the dents, sanded all the parts with different grits until I got to 3000. After that I polished all the parts and coated them with a Boeshield T-9 which is a corrosion preventative. The parts are not as good as anodizing but it sure was a lot cheaper.

Looking back, due to the many hours and mess, it might have been better to pay the man for the anodizing. But, like everything else on my car I wanted the experience of doing it myself.

I have attached a couple of pictures. Two of the pics show the oven cleaner sprayed on. The nose piece shows how tarnished they were. I don't have a lot of pics of the trim on my car, but the one pic here shows most of it. Anyone recognize the dude looking under the car??

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Thanks Larry,
    That reminds me I need before and after images I have buffed a few pieces here and can show before and after (next to each other). I'm not sure the polish will be as great and redoing them altogether but I can try Buffed over a few hundred first. My dash pieces will cost me a lot, I'm more worried about those then the trim for now but I'm just starting. I would start a thread but I have no idea how long it will take me to get it updated. I do plan on getting windows out this month and start on the body next month with a neighbor here. So i guess i can do a journal on my website for Stella as i move along that way I don't bore others with my slow progress.
    Marion Cain

Just a guess. Does he drive a Honda MC at times?

My last check of anodizing cost came up with $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ($750 for the grille and $350 for the headlight doors!)
    Last edited by SmithKid; February 19th, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Just a guess. Does he drive a Honda MC at times?

My last check of anodizing cost came up with $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ($750 for the grille and $350 for the headlight doors!)
    OMG I'm buffing mine LOL and looking for a better grill. Mines ok but for $750 I can stick that into my engine and run faster then a fresh grill...... Im going to start getting Images of mine. Al is coming over Saturday Morning so maybe thats a great place to start. we will look into his E-Brake.
    Marion Cain

Marion start a thread on here, look at mine it is 20 pages long and been going on for 3 plus years. Roger has one on here as well for the flarechero and it is long but he was faster than me and got his done in about 8 months.. We all like to see the work and progression of these car so post it up!!!

I'll second that, Marion. My thread (302 for Smithkid) is over a year long, and I still update it now & then. We'd all be interested. Anyone else continuing or starting a project would also be interesting.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Ok started mine Im adding a bit fast here but its images and a small story to start with under Stella's Re-Birth.

Waiting on a few images from my cell phone but soon I will get teh go pro up and running to do timed shots as I work on her.
    Marion Cain

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Anyone recognize the dude looking under the car??

Larry
    Hey that's me! I think I was looking for your "hide -a -key" during the Greenwood Show. Sorry I ruined your shot.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Ooooops.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Jeff, You didn't hurt the picture. It's one of my favorites. You made it a cool pic. Many people have asked what you were looking at.

Marion, I tell everyone the same thing about working on their Falcons. The key is to just keep on keeping on. It takes so much time that you start wondering if there is an end to the work. Then the money keeps going out and my wife wonders if that will ever stop. I know that I will never get done. (evidence--changing to a T5 instead of the C4). Carol also realizes the money keeps on keeping on going out also.

I was told once when my car was on the rotisserie that I would never get it done. That it would just waste away in the same condition. Carol told them they don't know me very well. Keep the faith. You have a bunch of great folks here that will help as they helped me many times. I like where you are headed with your car. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Amen to that Larry, I couldn't count the number of times I was told I would never fix my car. I think even Roger and Gene had their doubts when they first saw it.
    But 3.5 years later, countless hours and a small pile of cash and she sits at the paint shop. The boxes are piling up at home again with all the little things to put her back together. I might not have the interior in it this year but I don't care, if she is running (and she is) and safe to drive i am going to do so. When the cash becomes available for more I will continue on.
    The added bonus to doing this was all the great people in the club that have helped out and continue to help out that helps keep us going. So dig in call us up or post it up and make that dream come true!!!

(I should run for office)

Don't let yourself get discouraged as you progress, Marion. Our members have a lot of beautiful cars and they all took, or are taking, a lot of time. It seems they are all in a permanent evolving state. I purchased my car in Nov. '06 and am still going at it (probably always!). Echoing what Steve and Larry said: I've found a lot of support and help from the guys that frequent this forum.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs