Thread: Terrible frame news

Terrible frame news

The old girl went up on the lift to get some idea about her undercarriage before suspension upgrades. Uh, oh. Ruse in all the frame rails, plus some bad fixes along the way. The frame is too far gone to support daily driving, not to mention upgrades. Looks like she'll be okay around town for awhile, but...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

One picture looks like rust is everywhere and the other is hard to tell there is anything rusty.

Really, the areas to be most concerned on this car is the rockers and the area where the rear-springs attach back yonder. But can't really tell from these pictures where the rust is, or isn't. I can't even see holes in the floor. Are there any?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Have a look at this thread posted this summer from zerobird. This is rust:
    http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...ead.php?t=1226
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Didn't you say that car was from Wisconsin? I grew up there and wrenched on rusty cars for most of my life. That is why my latest Falcon came from California. That salt gets in places you wouldn't imagine. Best of luck on he repairs. Anything thing can be fixed, it's just a decision on how much time and/or money you want to put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    One picture looks like rust is everywhere and the other is hard to tell there is anything rusty.

Really, the areas to be most concerned on this car is the rockers and the area where the rear-springs attach back yonder. But can't really tell from these pictures where the rust is, or isn't. I can't even see holes in the floor. Are there any?
    It's the fault of the bad photography, I'm thinking. Yes, the rust is parallel to the frame rails, and you can stick a screwdriver through them in a couple places. The forward leaf spring mounts are history. Someone did a patch on the driver's floor, and sometime in the past they cut the transmission hump, so there's some bad news there, too. It looks like I'll have to get a pair of full-length frame rails and body pans to clean the mess up.

I'm thinking maybe selling this one to someone who just wants to drive it until it dies, and getting something a bit easier to deal with. The other alternative is dropping a few thousand dollars and a comparable amount of hours into a suspension.

Well, I bought a sweet 63 1/2 with a good solid underbelly. I think that's the fix for this particular problem. The '62 will have to be sold as a city car - after the engine and electrical work I've done so far, she still has a few years left in her.

Do Ya have any piics?

Good to hear you found anotther soluition. Do ya have any pics of the 63?
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

I'll take a bunch and post them. I'm working out how to fix a left front door hinge - I'll keep some photo record of that, as well.
    You'll like her - it looks like someone tried to make a 260 4-speed Futura into a faux-Sprint sometime in the '60s or '70s.