Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

So how bummed am I to have taken a long lunch to drive over to RedHead Steering Gear on 130th and Aurora today only to discover they have moved... all the way to Auburn!

Getting these steering boxes over to them (don't wanna ship them, would rather scrap them) is not going to be an easy deal.

So sigh...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Just leave at midnight and you will be back in time for work

Came into work early today so I can leave early and drive there before they close. Fortunately it's more like south Kent, so should make it there by 5 if I get ahead of the traffic. With the holiday I probably won't get it back right away, but oh-well - it could use the work. As big a pain as it was to get out I don't want to go through that again anytime soon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Took me 2.5 hrs to drive to RedHead Steering last night. OMG. But dropped off 5 steering boxes and needed only one back. He thinks I may come out of this even-Steven. So that might make the drive worthwhile. May have him ship it back to me though...

Also found my water pump drive pulley was warped and tried to straighten it using our big (work) lathe as a guide. Man, these things don't move. So in the hunt for a new pulley now. Or just live with it a while.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

A little here, a little there. Progress is not always fast when you have to fabricate everything - and WIAI™ things keep coming up.

Got the new steering box delivered to my work yesterday. Pays to save cores. I didn't have to pay a penny for my new box and they delivered it. I passed the driver off a $20 and said buy a case of something at your next company BBQ (they have two BBQ grills outside their new offices, so I suspected they do that a lot).

steeringgearRH.jpg

Have been working to fabricate the clutch master mount and push-rod for a couple evenings. The first picture is my "mock up" to determine how far out from the pedal arm the push rod needed to be, and then I machined a bolt and threaded it, made the bushing, and took a brake M/C plunger and shortened it and ground it down to size. It should be fine. Need to make a flat washer firewall support piece to transfer some of the stress of pressing against the firewall all the time, but that'll be the easy part of this. Then I can put in the steering box, brake master, and hang the pedals again.

CMmock.jpg
    CMparts.jpg
    CMpushrod.jpg

Of course, as I mentioned, WIAI™ is alive and well. While digging in the loft for M/C push rods I ran across the Comet dash I bought last year, but never did anything with. Figured while the steering column wasn't in the way - I ought to work that into the plan WIAI™. I couldn't leave well enough alone - so I took it all apart to clean it up, polish the chrome and plastic. I also had to deal with the fact I had previously split-out the left/right turn signals. Instead of using a bulb and cardboard tube (like how I did my last dash and Steve's) I added a red LED for high-beam. I remembered what I did wrong on Steve's dash and didn't want a speedo only capable of 42 MPH. Using the LED was way easier than my previous method and didn't stop the needle. This is, by far, the nicest Comet cluster I've seen since the one in Gina's Comet. Most are pitted to heck.

cometdash.jpg

Gene came last night and got most of the tape removed from the '63 grille (post black painting) and so soon that will go back on; this weekend maybe.

Next-up I'll be underneath again working on the clutch slave, steering box, header & exhaust reinstall. Then, fingers crossed and no more WIAI™ I'll be done with Phase #496 of this car.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; December 1st, 2016 at 09:08 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

That dash is spectacular. Very nice. It's getting there, you'll be driving her in no time!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

How about a little more WIAI.... you could redo the black on the back and make it so the R side doesn't say TURN SIGNAL. Or add TURN SIGNAL to the L side. Much more pleasing to the eye.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Don't add to the list Gene I think his WIAI list is long enough!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

And here I thought Gene was my friend... Gene, you're supposed to be helping those of us who suffer from WIAI™ disease. And instead I see you are as bad an enabler as I am.

But don't think at 10:15 last night when I was staring at that I wasn't thinking to myself "how can I make that say left/right." Or how can I change that to Turn Signal instead of High Beam (they stamped those words in, not just silk screened it). And should I roll back the odomoter. And should I... and should I, and should I.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"