Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door lock link

Door lock link

This past Wednesday I tried to use my key to lock the driver's door and the key just turned back and forth without moving the lock.

This afternoon I took the driver's side door panel off and saw a link rod hanging down. I pushed it back in place and reassemble the door panel. The rod in question is the "top" or outermost rod and I pushed it through the top hole that is connected to the key lock mechanism (tumbler).

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

The key lock works now but I need the little retainer snap that goes on the end of the link rod that goes through the hole to make sure that it does not come undone again.

Does anyone know what that little retainer snap is called and where I can get one?
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 20th, 2016 at 06:47 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I had to buy a few for my 64 and I think I got them from Falcon Parts. com. I didn't realize it but there are different types for your car. Here is a link to one.

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/60-6...FUmRfgodB9oLew
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Doors

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Here is a link to one.
    Thanks, Larry.

I will order a set.

Another interesting item is that while messing with the door I saw where the drain valves are supposed to be. There are three of them along the bottom of the door. In my case, the little plugs were in place next to the drain holes, but the rubber "valves" were gone.

"1963 Ford Falcon BOTTOM OF DOOR DRAIN HOLE PLUG"
    Bottom of door drain valve 7759.jpg

See: https://www.autokrafters.com/Ford-Fa...hole-plug.aspx

I can't see any need to replace them, though. The valves are $3.95 each and they look like they would impede drainage.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis,

I have a set in a pile of parts I picked up a few years back. They were for a different year, I think. I still have them, may have to look at them (again) now.

Never knew they existed until then, nor what the function actually was. Seems anything stuffed into the holes would impede drainage and collect crud and promote rust. But I've honestly never given them more than a moments thought.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Rear bumper seal

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Seems anything stuffed into the holes would impede drainage and collect crud and promote rust.
    Hello, Roger,.

I am beginning to think the same thing about my "rear bumper seal". I installed it because it was supposed to be there, but I am thinking of taking it off because all it seems to do is catch leaves. Do you have these things on your cars? Do you have an opinion on them?

"1960-1965 REAR BUMPER SEALS: This is the seal that fits between the rear bumper and the rear body panel."

rear-bumper-seal.jpg

See: http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...ALS-11p314.htm

Update to Larry: On closer inspection, the description for the door lock link clips says: " They are front door lock rod clips for 1960 1961 1963 1964 Ford Falcon (except body code 63);" Well, darn. The hardtop is body code 63. I wonder why these clips would not work on a hardtop. Don't you have a hardtop?

See: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/60-6...FUmRfgodB9oLew

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 21st, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Door lock link

Dennis, I do have a Hardtop, but it's a 64 which is different for some odd reason. I do think I got mine from Falcon Parts.com. They are not my favorite vendor, but?
    As far as the bumper seal? I cannot tell you what the purpose is. I took one off and put a new one on. Didn't really thing about it I guess. Good questions. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Door-Lock-Rod-Retainer-Clips-C3AZ-6221952

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Dennis, I do have a Hardtop, but it's a 64 which is different for some odd reason.
    I can't find a clip that is specifically labeled as being for for a 1963 Falcon hardtop. This pair of "1964-65 Ford Fairlane Door Lock Rod Retainer Clips C3AZ-6221952-A, Pair" is $8.95 with free postage from e-bay and they sure look like they would work.

1964-65 Ford Fairlane Door Lock Rod Retainer Clips C3AZ-6221952-A, Pair.jpg

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-65-Ford...xU6T5l&vxp=mtr

The number C3AZ indicates 1963. It fits a 1964 Falcon Sprint which is rather similar to a 1963 1/2 Sprint (which is a hardtop).

"This part is compatible with 82 vehicle(s).
    Year Make Model Trim Engine
    1964 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint 4.3L 260Cu. In. V8 GAS Naturally Aspirated"

These also have the little plastic insert. Mine has a (probably broken) black plastic insert.

Door lock link 2.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 22nd, 2016 at 02:28 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

I've always heard the rear bumper seal is there to prevent rocks from flying up and bouncing off the inside curve of the bumper, trashing the paint on the rear panel. Even small gravel or grains of sand can get going pretty fast when you're clipping along at 60 mph and then bouncing off that chromed steel. Just like a media blaster.

But I don't know this for a fact. Probably could also help with the dust buildup if you travel dirt roads.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Rear Bumper Air Scoops

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I've always heard the rear bumper seal is there to prevent rocks from flying up and bouncing off the inside curve of the bumper, trashing the paint on the rear panel.
    The corners of the rear bumper are two little air scoops.

IMG_0431.jpg

I have wondered if it would make the car more streamlined if those scoops were sealed against the body. But then I considered that the car is creating a vacuum behind it as it moves at highway speed. The air being scooped by the bumper will empty out behind the car and reduce the vacuum. Maybe the Ford designers actually considered this when they designed the aerodynamics.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 22nd, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Then what you are really saying is Chip Foose is ruining the aerodynamic design Ford and other car makers intended!

Actually I think a lot of it was to keep under-car fumes from getting translated upward. I know on a wagon you can't drive around with the rear window open - even with this added. I do have these on both the wagon and Ranchero, but don't have issues with leaves. You need to drive them, or at least have them outside, to have that sort of issue.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"