Thread: Sounds Like U Joints

Sounds Like U Joints

I just picked up another 62 Falcon, sounded luike the u joints were bad, but didn't really feel any slop in em when I checked, replaced em anyway, still banging like a u joint, also checked motor and trans mounts before changing u joints, never heard a rear end banging like that, but thats where I'll go next unless any of you guys got another idea, Thanks.
    GermanGeorge

Hi GermanGeorge,

Welcome! I had the front u-bolts banging on my parking brake thing-a-ma-doo-hickey once. The lever where the cable to the handle hooks up to the equalizer for the cable to the drums.

This was after installing the adapter to put in my C-4 but it could probably happen to a stock installation too.

Hey Roger...was that what was making the racket when we drove the Flairchero from Steve's place??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

No, that was a tunnel smashed down to a size too small for the driveline to rotate in.

G.G. What is the frequency of this noise?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    No, that was a tunnel smashed down to a size too small for the driveline to rotate in.

G.G. What is the frequency of this noise?
    The sound happens when you put it in D or R, just like u-joints, but it's worst when you put it in R,Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Hi GermanGeorge,

Welcome! I had the front u-bolts banging on my parking brake thing-a-ma-doo-hickey once. The lever where the cable to the handle hooks up to the equalizer for the cable to the drums.

This was after installing the adapter to put in my C-4 but it could probably happen to a stock installation too.

Hey Roger...was that what was making the racket when we drove the Flairchero from Steve's place??
    Thanks redfalken, but this is a heavy metallic clunk, like a really bad u-joint.

Does the sound get faster as your car speed increases?

Maybe you can remove the driveshaft and have someone push the car? That will tell you if it's from the rear end assembly. Run the engine a bit in gear when the DS is out too. Noises can travel and if it's an automatic, may be a cracked flex plate?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Does the sound get faster as your car speed increases?

Maybe you can remove the driveshaft and have someone push the car? That will tell you if it's from the rear end assembly. Run the engine a bit in gear when the DS is out too. Noises can travel and if it's an automatic, may be a cracked flex plate?
    No, it only makes the noise when you first put it in gear, exactly like a u-joint, just "CLUNK", then it drives perfectly quiet, no noise, no vibration, Thanks.

Ah - the infamous "CLUNK!" Not a moving noise.

Well, that can be a few things, but the two most common (aside from u-joints) are a worn tailshaft bushing and excessive ring and pinion play. It can also be simply due to too high an engine idle speed.

If you have a friend who can demonstrate it while you [safely] watch what and where the noise emanates from while on the outside looking under the car. Don't be under the car... of course. You might be able to pin-point front or back of the car better. You can also put the car up on jack-stands to get a closer look.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"