Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Thanks, Nathan!
    I'll keep you in mind if the +.040 pistons end up being "redundant".
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

Any update on your engine project?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

UPDATE - January 2, 2010

Carter finished the engine, mostly, before leaving for his winter stay in AZ. I've added another entry on my blog with some more details. Basically, I've got to work out some details while he's gone, and we're hoping to run the engine perhaps in April.

I've attached some pictures showing how it looked the last time I saw it. Carter mounted the intake and the headers before he left, but these pictures were taken before that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Pretty awesome Gary. Glad to see chains attached (and hopefully connected somewhere up above).

You've already converted to an alternator haven't you? The pics have a gen, so was curious whether that's still the plan.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    You've already converted to an alternator haven't you? The pics have a gen, so was curious whether that's still the plan.
    I was thinking the same thing. Why do all this work and keep the gen?
    Patrick Brown

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Why do all this work and keep the gen?
    Yeah, I'm already running the alternator in the car. The generator will be used just for tentioning the belt during the test run. We aren't going to hook up a charging system for the test; we'll just run off a battery.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Looking good! Can't wait to hear it run this spring. Are you the first six with a Classic Inlines aluminum head in the area? I don't think I've seen one up close yet.

I think I'd put a couple Tempurpedic mattresses under that baby!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Looking good! Can't wait to hear it run this spring. Are you the first six with a Classic Inlines aluminum head in the area? I don't think I've seen one up close yet.

I think I'd put a couple Tempurpedic mattresses under that baby!
    Actually, 63200i6 (see the first page of this thread) has a Classic Inlines head on a '66 Mustang. He lives in Renton, I think, and I'd been hoping to meet him and see his Mustang, but haven't managed to yet.

Matresses. Hmmm....
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Update

I did a little more work on Freddie's new engine. Before Carter left for AZ he gave me an assignment to try to get some things done during his absence. He asked that I work out the problem of the throttle arm on the carburetor interfering with the intake manifold, get and install sending units for oil pressure and water temperature gages, figure out a throttle linkage, and fabricate a fuel line.
    After some careful measuring, I determined that I would have a good extra inch of hood clearance with the new engine installed. Based on that, I bought a 1/2-inch carb spacer from Jegs and installed the carb. I bought water temp and oil pressure gages and installed their sending units on the engine. I also upgraded the fuel pump to a Carter hi-perf unit and managed to fabricate a fuel line.
    I still don't know for sure what to do for throttle linkage. Everyone is telling me I should get a later cable set-up and pedal from Pull-A-Part. I will probably do that if I can find time to get over there. Not sure what to do about tranny linkage either. One thing I've noticed is that the shift lever on my tranny is oriented with the lever UP, with Park engaged when the lever is pushed fully aft. This is opposite to what I saw on Kenny's C4 which has the lever DOWN and Park is fully forward. My trans was originally from a Mustang which had a floor shifter which may explain the difference. In any case, I'll need to figure out if I can reverse my lever, or else figure out how to "reverse" the input from the column shift. It dawned on me recently that, if all else fails, I could probably rig up the choke cable (which will be redundant with the new carb) to shift the transmission!
    Carter is returning on April 29, so we should be able to run the engine within a week or two after that. We've tentatively set the "swap day" for May 22-23 (weekend after Monroe swap meet). Venue is yet to be determined.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

That engine's looking pretty sweet! My C4 came from a floor shift with the lever up too. If I recall, the shaft was made so you could point the lever either direction. But it's been awhile!

And cable throttle is the way to go. Cheap and a much smoother than a solid linkage. I'm looking forward to getting this bad boy in and see how it runs!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

C4 linkage is up for floor and down for column shift. The lever is reversable but you must remove the pan and loosen the nut on the inside if I recall. You can also cut the tab off and use a universal clamp on lever. These are common and can be ordered from Summit or Jegs. The most important part is that the center line to linkage hole dimensions MUST match on the column and the tranny. If they don't the detents will be off.

As for throttle linkage and kickdown. I really like my Lokar setup. It's universal and will fit great. There should be photos in my gallery.
    Patrick Brown

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    As for throttle linkage and kickdown. I really like my Lokar setup. It's universal and will fit great.
    So, Pat, would I need to change my gas pedal with the Lokar cable setup?
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary - I have a cable set up that I pulled last month from Pull-a-part.

I won't need it until next summer when I do my conversion.

I'm happy to bring it to the tech day, then you will have an entire year to leisurely visit a Pull-a-part for my replacement.

If you do pull one, don't forget to grab the little metal spacer that is under the pedal bracket... it is usually crimped to the carpet padding.

I'll take a picture of the assembly this weekend so you can make an educated decision.
    Last edited by Jeff W; April 9th, 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Picture added

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    So, Pat, would I need to change my gas pedal with the Lokar cable setup?
    You can use a Lokar pedal or find any pedal designed for use with a cable. The pedal Jeff has will probably work great. You shopuld still get the Lokar kickdown and the carb bracket.
    Patrick Brown

I'll even clean it up and shoot some paint in it for you.