Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Van info needed....

Van info needed....

Brian this is directed to you mostly; I finally have a good line on a van. It doesn't run but I think I can handle that. My question is it is missing the seats. How hard will it be to fine something to work for it or do you know of any out there?? Also what should I look for as far as trouble spots before I drag her home?? It is a 63 and I was told it is all stock with low miles? (whatever that might be) Other than the seats it looks to be pretty complete.
    Also does any one have parts for these other than Macs, and E-Bay? I figure if I go loaded with info I can talk them down even more price wise. Although $1000 doesn't sound too bad right now..
    Thanks Steve.

Ok, here goes.... A stock 63 will have a 170ci with a 3 on the tree and most likely a 7 1/4 rear end, possibly an 8. The dash should have a Gen and Oil light instead of the gauges.

Trouble spots on these are not much different than a car. Since the main air intake is right underneath the front floor it is susceptible to rot especially where the heater box is mounted and right in front of the radiator. Check the wiring pass through fittings on the very front floor where it meets the front of the van, near the headlights. One big thing that is damaged or goes missing are the cardboard defroster vents and hoses. They are not easy or cheap to find.

Try to get your head underneath the steering wheel and peek at the back of the instrument panel. Something I find a lot on these is altered wiring for added lights, switches, etc including random drilled holes especially in the dash. I looked at one van where someone drilled a hole in the front of the roof and the backside of the mirror to put a large treaded eye in... Camping?

There are trim pieces that may have been taken over the years. Each front door should have an Emblem and if it is a Falcon Bus the rear right door should as well. The rear license plate should be on the bumper on a 63. Miscellaneous items would be a windshield washer pump located underneath the floor under the driver seat and the reservoir directly under the driver seat. The brake master cylinder is under a small access panel right in front of the driver side seat leg. Be sure the battery box has not been taken, it sits on the floor behind the driver. If you have a Falcon Bus model get a good look at the mechanical passenger step. One more: The factory rear view mirror was mounted to the roof with three screws, I see many missing with the generic stick on.

I have an extra driver seat here that I am not using but it will need reupholstering. You have the opportunity to put something more comfortable than the stock seats back in if you like. The trick with these is having the mounting brackets since one side mounts to the fender well and the other to the floor. Once you have those you have some options for seats. Pontiac Fiero seats seem popular as they are narrow and seem to mount up nicely. At the bottom of this thread a guy did an interesting setup in his Econo pickup:

http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t...t-belt-install

Parts are available from many sources. I have been surprised at all of the parts Summit has had in the non-performace variety. Keep in mind a lot of the Pick-up and Falcon parts from the era transfer over. Besides the ones we all know (Rock Auto, Classic Inlines, Jegs, eBay, Amazon, Napa, Oreily's) Here are the sources I get mine from:

There is also a somewhat dated listing here.

As always feel free to shoot me a call with any questions.
    Last edited by BPVan; April 12th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Cool Thanks Brian. I will keep you posted on how it goes. I am going on Sunday to look...
    I hope it works out because I just sold the free 65 ranchero and am hoping to turn it into a van...
    By the way i am cleaning your parts this am and hope to get them coated while Patrick is here. I will let you know on those. If not I will be in the Sea-Tac area on Sunday and maybe we can meet up??
    Thanks again for all the info you are the VAN MAN!!!

Brian give me a call at the shop I have questions thanks Steve: 360-681-5412...

Too bad that one didn't work out. Also, too bad this one is not a window van, its right near you and has the ideal motor in it:

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/2956200250.html
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Quote Originally Posted by BPVan View Post
    Too bad that one didn't work out. Also, too bad this one is not a window van, its right near you and has the ideal motor in it:

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/2956200250.html
    That would be a perfect Mystery Machine.

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Wow did not even see that one, and it is right down the road! I think I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip..

Went to e-mail on the port angeles van and the posting is gone?? Must have sold it. Bummer, on to the next one.

I just clicked on the link above and it's still coming up on CL. Did you call the guy?

Call (360) 417-3913 ask for Tom
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"