Thread: Ford 8" 3.55 Limited Slip

Ford 8" 3.55 Limited Slip

I'm going to be in the market for a 3.55 limited slip 3rd member...needs to be in very good condition.

Thanks
    Hal

These are hard to find used. There is a guy that always has them on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...em230165144126

I plan to get one this Winter when I don't have to compete with other bidders.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thanks for the info...I'm watching some of these also. They appear to come from outfits that are in the business so I don't have to buy before I'm ready....but I'm getting real close to being ready. The convertible I bought is supposed to ship from Vegas by Wednesday and although I don't know what I'm going to do about the transmission (some sort of overdrive for freeway driving) I am convinced I want to trade out the 4.10 it currently has. I THINK a 3.55 is a nice medium driver...although been thinking about a 3.25 also.

Any suggestions on the limited slip? I see different terminology that the vendors use....I just want something that is not too drastic and will keep both wheels turning when called upon.

On waiting...it appears most of the vendors have a reserve? So getting a steal may not be in the cards but something in the $700 range does not appear too bad to me.

Thanks
    Hal

That auction I posted lists a 3.40. That's what I was planning on to go with my C4. I don't race and just want to have fun cruising on weekends and to shows. The Trak-Loc or True-Trac does that nicely. Look for a Detroit Locker for racing.
    Patrick Brown

The 3.40 sounds like a nice one to have...was debating between a 3.55 and a 3.25...so the 3.40 is a nice middle ground. I want to have a little zip but be able to cruise down the freeway.

I understand all original ford 8" rears had a 28 spline? I'm assuming the convertible has the same....what are the chances it would have a different spline...pretty uncommon????

I would like to order the rear end so I can change out the 4.10 sooner than later...plus don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the axle (will have someone do that given my mechanical ability) then putting it back after verifying the spline count...then doing it all over again to put in the rear end.

So....I might just bite the bullet and order one....do you know anything about this particular vendor or are they all pretty much the same?

thanks
    Hal

All 8" rears have 28 spline axles and use the same driveline yoke so you shouldn't have any problem. Did the previous owner confirn the 8"? You don't have a 9" do ya?

That eBay seller has been listing that unit for at least two years. It's come up a couple of times on TFFN. I have no personal experience but he has a good feedback rating and has been around a while.
    Patrick Brown

Patrick...would like to tap into your knowledge base...looking on ebay I noticed a couple of vendors...one, they are red 3rd members, appear to be the same as the link you sent but...their reserve price is like $675 where the black one starts at $740...shipping only $20 difference. If you have researched these do you see any real difference? Of course I would like to buy the cheaper one if it is basically the same....unfortunately this is a learning experience for me and I will gladly pay more if the quality is different.

thanks
    Hal

Can you post the eBay links or item numbers?
    Patrick Brown

It worked fine. That one looks that same to me. The only downside is that you don't get a choice of gears. He has a 3.25 listed in another auction. Since he uses Motive gears, he could build a 3.4 version. You might ask him if he could do that.
    Patrick Brown