Thread: Oil Pan ???'s

Oil Pan ???'s

OK so I found a front sump pan on E-bay new for $24, and a pick up for $16. Here is my final question. On the engine that is in the car the dip stick is a driver side block mount tube. The front sump comes with a passenger side block accommodation for a dip stick. The pan with no dip stick uses a timing chain cover dip stick??
    Is there an easy solution or am I being a dip stick?? Help please...

On my panel truck, I has a block-mount dipstick pan (had no dipstick access) with a non dipstick-block-mount block. (what did I just say?) The serpentine belt system needed the later timing cover, with no dipstick access. So I had no dipstick. Knew the capacity and just changed the oil a lot. They had a pan-mount dipstick pan, but by the time I figured that out, the truck was all put together, so I never swapped the pan. The guy that bought it from me, did.

Use the timing cover style with the dipstick, if you can. I really wanted all the serpentine stuff to use the power steering setup, reverse water pump, alternator, and everything (from the '79 car) so I didn't have the choice. If you are using stock mid-sixties drive belts (no reverse water pump, etc) then you can use the early timing cover. These are also pretty common.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

What if I use the block mount dip stick I have now, and use the pan with out a prevision for the tube, and after filling the pan with the proper quantities of lubrification measure and cut the dip stick measuring device to the proper length???
    Are we sounding scientific enough yet??? Good thing I dun gradjimacated the 6th grade.....
    Thanks for the tip now at least I have a couple of options.

Nope; that won't work.The sump in the front sump it too far forward for that. Get a timing chain cover from an engine that had a front sump. You can buy these new these days.

Timing cover
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SES-5-60-04-201/

Oil Pan
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-30720/

Pickup
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-18620/

There have been a lot of versions of timing covers over the years so be careful about water pump compatibility.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I don't see a dipstick provision in that timing cover (I see some square thing on the left, but it's odd) - and nothing mentioning it has one. Is this one you have used before Steve buys that?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I have the one from the Ford Racing catalog. Here is what Ford is selling now:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...D351/?rtype=10

This one also has the strange boxy thing (mine does not). I'm not sure what that is for. Maybe a VR sensor for EDIS stuff? I would call the Ford Racing tech line to be sure before ordering one.

These newer style covers also don't have the cast in timing pointer. You would need a bolt on style that typically set at 11o'clock. The early covers have a cast in pointer on the other side. One would have to be aware of these is reusing an older damper with only one set of timing marks. This is easily fixed with timing tape.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Steve,

You may want to also check National Parts Depot, which sells repo Mustang parts. They have all this stuff too, at about 20% less than Summit.

But yeah, you need to know whether you are going to use a cast iron or aluminum water pump. There's a difference I guess. Anyway, NPD even has the dipstick tubes and dipsticks - the whole shibang.

I was going through their catalog tonight, in fact, and saw all this. I'm thinking I might order the 65 Mustang cowl repair bits and adapt them to the Ranchero - and get the front fender apron to modify the battery tray to the 65 tray - get the battery sideways and down from the current placement. Should be an easy swap - and the parts are cheap!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"