Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mustang

The Mustang

has left the building...

Most of you have read about the 65 Mustang I've been working on for the past 9 months. It was one of those "while I'm at it" sort of projects. The car has now left my garage and is now in his, and my wagon is now back home and will now see a lot of work leading up to the Regional in August. I'm glad to see the Mustang gone, but it's also sort of a downer. My friend has yet to see it. He's been in the hospital now for about 6 weeks, and hopefully he's going to recover enough to drive it. Lot's of rehab yet for him, but he said to me there's no greater incentive than what he has waiting for him when he gets home. Let's hope it's enough.

Here's some pictures:

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger, That looks really nice. I'm glad it is a motivator to get him home and back on his feet. Everyone has to have something to look forward to.

Thanks Jeff. Let's hope so.

I wish I had taken a picture when it was all finished. I was just in such a hurry. I was trying to drive it to Renton on Father's Day because the weather was good... and didn't make it. Then I stayed home Monday to finish and finally about 1 PM got about 2 miles down the road and couldn't help but turn around due to a loud grinding noise. New front wheel bearings, 4 hours and $60 later I got it out there, but at about 8 PM Monday night. And the next day it was raining here again. So it all worked out.

That's kind of a temporary paint job/scheme, but it may be what it has for a long time. It still needs a LOT of body work and I've already put about 100 hours in bodywork already.

Here's all I did:

New rear frame rails
    New Gas Tank
    New trunk sheetmetal (interior)
    New taillight panel
    New PS quarter panel
    New Hood and front fenders
    Every inch of wiring inspected, repaired, rewrapped.
    New interior (Pony deluxe)
    New windshield
    All old paint removed
    Both doors and trunk-lid stripped inside and out and repainted
    New weatherstripping and fuzzies
    Etching primer
    Satin Black (Derusto $8 a quart)
    Rally stripes (just because I could)
    Refinished the roof
    Stereo install
    New Radiator

He had a technical school replace the floor pans and they did a REALLY crappy job of it at that. I spent 6 days on my back just to "mask" some of the work they did and undercoat the entire car. Needless to say, it shouldn't be raced any time soon.

All in all, as I said originally, it was a while I'm at it sort of job. One thing inevitably led to another and I was originally just bringing it over to do the wiring. Being the way I am... that snowballed and I ultimately decided if he was ever going to drive this car again I'd better just finish it. So I did.

Anyway, my reward's in heaven I'm sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Is that a vinyl roof or just paint?

It's vinyl and isn't in the best of shape in the back. There are no tears, but it's pulling up in a few spots and I'm still trying to think of a way to get it glued back down. I'm thinking I might try to inject some contact cement in and smoosh it down, let it up and then let it dry, then shoosh it down again after a couple hours. Then touch up the holes. Don't know if it'll work or not.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

That's what I would do. The contact cement I have had luck with is "3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I picked it up at NAPA. Your apply to both sides, let it dry, apply again and stick it down.

Good work, Roger - I wish my dad's Fastback was making this kind of progress. I'm sure the owner is very appreciative of what you've done.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Thanks Thor. He's yet to see it still. He's still hospitalized with no time-line yet for his release. Still going through tons of rehab, mostly due to being in the hospital.

If ever I were to "convert" to a Mustang, it would be for a fastback like the one your family owns...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"