Thread: Trim Clips

Trim Clips

I looked on the TFFN web site and found quite a few hits on how to install the body side trim on my 64. Bunch of different ideas but not sure which is best. Most say to install the clips in the square holes on the body with a sealant. But they don't say what type sealant to use. Any one know the best product to use?
    Then they mention to install the screw on type clips onto the trim, seal around the hole and clip and then snap the trim in place. Also when snapping the trim in place is there a preferred process that minimizes paint damage?

Trim Clips

Help!! I am still looking for some help on this issue and am prepared to install the chevrons on both sides. Is there a specific seal that is used to put in those large holes prior to bolting down the chevrons? Any help appreciated. Thanks

I think FOrd just used that black seem sealer stuff that they used everywhere..
    The same putty stuff used to attach the water shields behind the door panals. Somebody sells it in a roll.
    Try mac's or kanter.. but I think 3m makes a simular product.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Larry,

Strip caulk by 3M sold at Wesco (in a blue 1 x 8 x 4 box) is what you use for all that trim and all the seams where body panels bolt to one another. It cleans off with mineral spirits, which is pretty benign when used on painted surfaces (if it oozes out and needs to be cleaned off). I checked my Falcon book and that's what they show.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Trim Clips

Thanks, I appreciate the input and I'll stop by there on the way home from work.

Trim Clips

I bought the box of Strip Caulk from Wesco yesterday and it works great on the fasteners for the chevrons. It looks like there is a lifetime supply in the box but at least it didn't cost and arm and a leg. $14.50. Thanks for the help Roger

Considering over the past 30 years I've gone through about a dozen boxes of that stuff (and need more again already), you will be surprised at how many uses that stuff has. You'll use a lot when you install the water shields on your doors and rear quarter window areas. All the areas where you don't want water coming through... like all along the top of the fenders, between the grille and the core support, etc... etc....
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"