Thread: My 2 Spd Trany (64') is Slipping

My 2 Spd Trany (64') is Slipping

Got a 1964 Sprint, 260 V8- 2 Spd. Its slips when shiffting, but only under load, like at half or 3/4 throttle. Question ? Can that be fixed or does that mean rebuild tranny? ...And can the 2 Spd "Ford -O matic" be easily switched to a 3Spd. automatia

Could be the wrong fluid. It requires type f fluid..

Next question is it low? That would cause slipping.

The 260 is a 5 bolt block and requires a 5 bolt bell. Locating the bell housing can be difficult to locate and expensive.

I have a spare 260 in my garage that i'll sell cheap if you dont mind coming to spokane to get..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

5 Bolt Bell Housing?

Then if i understand you; a 3 Spd. C-4 column shift trany will bolt up to the 260 motor if I have a 5 bolt bell housing? And.. that you have one acailable?....Steve

I have another 2peed available. If you want it.

The c4 3speed i do not have but if you can find the automatic 5 bolt bell you can use any c4 you want.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I have a 5 bolt housing from a 64 289,c-4, what do they go for? falcons always get a deal. in fact I would like to get rid of the 289 also....john

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    I have another 2peed available. If you want it.

The c4 3speed i do not have but if you can find the automatic 5 bolt bell you can use any c4 you want.

Nathan
    Correction: Almost any C4. There are case fill and pan fill versions. You need a case fill C4. The really early case fill C4 had a five bolt bell. They switched to a six bolt bell shortly after so the five bolt bells are scarce.

The case fill is easy to identify. The bell bolts to the case using the pump bolts. The pan fill bell bolts directly to the larger C4 case and the pump used a separate set of bolts.

CASE FILL C4

PAN FILL C4

Notice the larger shoulder where the bell attached to the tranny in the lower photo. You don't want this one.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

The bell you are looking for would be the C4AP-7976-A.

Here is some good info.
    http://mmerlinn.tripod.com/trans/fdc...hd.htm#default

You will also need a different flex plate, torque converter, modified drive shaft, C4 derect plate and indicator for your column, and a crossmember.

It's a big project but is worthwhile if you drive the car regularly and originality isn't important.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI