Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome versus anodize for aluminum trim

Chrome versus anodize for aluminum trim

Anyone have comments (silly question) concerning whether to have aluminum trim, grills, etc chrome plated instead of anodized?
    I stripped the old anodize off of my rear trim piece on my futura that goes below the trunk. Polished and painted it and then will apply clear powdercoating. It looks very good. But that process is messy and very time consuming.
    Soooo I thought I would check with the company in Tucson where I have been getting all my parts chrome plated to see what they would charge to re-anodize my grill and the side trim pieces. He recommended that I not anodize but that I chrome plate them. They charge less for chrome, the plating luster lasts longer and he says his customers are liking the chrome better. ????? What do you all think. Anyone chromed their grills or whatever?

I have been considering what to do with my grill (65 Falcon) also, but my concerns go even more basic than just "do I or do I not" chrome as I think my grill is mis-shapen (bent) near the bottom and don't know what to do to correct this other than search for one that the owner claims is not bent. Is there a way to overcome this situation? I will be interested to hear what you do and if you are satisfied with the result. Has the outfit you deal with given you a quote for both processes? Is the difference large? Thanks, Gene

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    and he says his customers are liking the chrome better.
    YOU are the customer so I would say do what YOU want. Since your bird has many custom elements, I think the chrome would look nice. If it is a more stock bird... like Kenny's or Roger's... I think the chrome would look out of place.

When you still can't decide, ask your wife.

below is an earlier link about anodizing and straightening:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...ighlight=grill
    Last edited by pbrown; September 11th, 2009 at 09:39 PM.

You know... the only concern I would have in this is the strength of the item being chromed. Grills are pretty soft and if dented, chrome would be more apt to part ways with the substrate as opposed to anodizing, which is a molecular change to the aluminum and can't "flake off." So with all the soft parts of a grill, I'd not do it if it were me. As for the other parts, just consider the potential for anything hitting them (ever) and go from there.

Also, chrome is like stainless is in lustre, but anodized aluminum is a bit matte in comparison -- and can be painted if there is a paint pattern needed on the part (like the grill does have.) Something else to consider...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

silver powercoat, or what other color grill you like, it really looks good....john h

Great feedback, I very much appreciate it. The cost they gave me to re-anodize my grill which is in good shape was just under $300. They will chrome plate it for $200. I really see the point in Rogers comments about plating damage if the aluminum gets bent up. Don't like Jeff's idea at all to ask my wife. I think I will either finish it myself if time allows or chrome plate it. More thinking is in store I guess. Thanks again. Larry

John, I missed your comment about silver powdercoat. I have powdercoating equipment but I hadn't heard of anyone powder coating it silver. Do you have knowledge of someone doing this? It looked good? The rear panel I mentioned in the thread, I polished and am putting clear powdercoating to protect it. Never thought about silver coating it and then clear coating it. Might give it a try but would like to know if you've seen one done this way. Larry

Hey Larry,
    I am just wondering why you are sending your stuff down to Tucson for chroming. Aren't there any places here in Wa. St. that are in the same ballpark price-wise ? Jon
    Last edited by 68FalconSC; September 15th, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: sp
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

I took 7 parts around to four different chroming locations here. One in Mukilteo, two in Seattle and one at Sea-tac. The lowest price I got was $1425. The highest was in Mukilteo for $2400. I got all seven done in Tucson for $300. I have gotten 20 some parts chromed from them and they do great work. Might be someplace around here I don't know about but haven't found it yet.

Wow, that's pretty cheap. Do you know if it's triple-plated with copper, nickle, chrome?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

It is triple plated. My brother was the director of Lear Jet for Wichita and Tucson. He dealt with this company for many years and also had them chrome all the parts for his 55 Chevy. When I say I send the parts to them I actually send the parts to my brother who takes the parts in for chroming. They give him a very good deal since he has done years worth of parts with them. He is now retired and doesn't give them as much work but it sure helps me.

I am a little slow in responding. Have been out of action for a while. I had my grill powdercoated silver on my '65 work in progress. I don't think it looks all that bad. Roger has seen it and thought it looked pretty good

Yeah, I thought that looked pretty good. Different is good. At least powder coat with flex and not flake off like chrome will.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"