Thread: Original Gas tank help - 60 tudor

Original Gas tank help - 60 tudor

Hi Guys, Gina just called me for some gas tank advice. She has a '60 tudor sedan and the gas tank needs to be cleaned out - keeps plugging up the two filters she has in line.

She had bought one of the replacement 16 gallon Mustang tanks but returned it as she isn't interested in modifying the filler or moving the exhaust.

Questions:

Any advice on where to have her existing tank cleaned out an possibly lined? She is in Port Townsend but is open to taking the ferry to the mainland.

or

Has anyone tried installing the replacement that is advertised as an original replacement, although twice the price ($260ish) of the Mustang replacement?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Gas Tank

Thanks Jeff for giving me a jump start. You pretty much said it all. I got a suggestion from a "friend?" to put vinegar in the tank with a big chain, get a buddy to help me roll it around. Sounded kinda funky, what do ya think? Can't wait to put my cars picture on here!

There's a kit by POR-15 that I've used on motorcycle tanks. Seems to hold up really well and it comes with a 2-step wash to prep it for the coating. It will set you back about $70 though.

If you do use vinegar it should be Industrial Vinegar. The stuff you buy at the grocery store for cooking won't do nearly as well. I've also heard people say to add a few handfuls of drywall screws. They have lots of sharp edges and points to scrape away the softened fuel residue.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Interestingly I found this note on the Original style 14 Gallon tank from MAC'S

"When using this tank on 1960 models, you will need to relocate the filler pipe, redrill the flange holes, cut off and reposition the vent pipe, and alter the floor mat."

I'm wasn't aware the 1960 was any different than the 61 in that area.

I'm also not sure how important it will be to reline your tank. Maybe just a good cleaning will do. I helped Brian with his tank, he used vinegar and a chain. He ended up coating it with the POR 15 as Kenny describes... but maybe lining is overkill for a daily driver that gets regular fill ups.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Original Gas tank help

Now it all makes a bit more sense. My gas filler points towards the drivers side. We were beginning to think it had been moved because my 61 I had for 23 years went the other way and that's how the replacement ones are. It's amazing how many changes were made and how unique the 60 is. Some good some not so good.
    I have been looking for the plastic clips that the visor goes into with no luck.that is a weak point for sure but I want to keep her original. Anyone know where I might find them?
    Thanks for ALL the good info.

Smile Back on the road

I got the gas tank cleaned and back in, the gas looked like chunky mud, new fuel pump & filter. Had to send the gas tank back on my own dime (65$) .The one that was suppose to fit my car but didnt. Just glad she's back on the road! Thanks to all who responded with help.
    IMG_0456cropthumb