Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire size...61

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    No matter how carefull your painter is, you will likely get some kind of over spray on your nice tires. Mine have primer that I cant get off. Maybe you have or can borrow some worn out rollers mounted on rims.
    Good point Jeff, except there won't be any tires on the rims when I paint them, so would be impossible to get over spray on them.

If nice tires and wheels are on the car when it comes in, they get removed and car is put on stands before I paint, just how I do it.

Me, I get really paranoid when the tire shop puts tires on freshly painted rims.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Good point Jeff, except there won't be any tires on the rims when I paint them, so would be impossible to get over spray on them.

If nice tires and wheels are on the car when it comes in, they get removed and car is put on stands before I paint, just how I do it.

Me, I get really paranoid when the tire shop puts tires on freshly painted rims.
    Phil, you need to give my paint guy some tips. I think the little cloth covers he slipped over most of my tire when shooting the body were from when Nixon was President.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

So....also worried about getting the tires on freshly painted rims. How to handle that?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Overspray? Check this out....the pic with the gray vinyl with the yellow on it...that's my seat with yellow paint on it. The other photo...the black is my dash. The green...overspray from when the outside of the car was green!
    and as you can see....gaskets were not masked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Overspray? Check this out....the pic with the gray vinyl with the yellow on it...that's my seat with yellow paint on it. The other photo...the black is my dash. The green...overspray from when the outside of the car was green!
    and as you can see....gaskets were not masked.
    That's one way to block the UV and keep it from degrading the rubber

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Phil, you need to give my paint guy some tips. I think the little cloth covers he slipped over most of my tire when shooting the body were from when Nixon was President.
    I don't own any of those covers, no need for them. My Dad had some of those style covers but as I remember they were canvas and weighed about 30lbs each from years of use. I know he used them during Nixon's presidency as I did most of his masking while I was in high school '71 -'75.

Don - I use a local shop who takes great care installing tires over freshly painted rims. You would need to find a shop in your area who will give the same respect to your painted parts. Of course, you could bring your tires or have them delivered here before your car goes home and I'll have my guy put them on.

Btw - Enjoyed meeting you Saturday. Your car is a very solid survivor and I was impressed with the story behind it.
    Phil

Yep, that was my thinking. I'll just have the new tires sent to you.
    (After I figure out what and where to buy.)
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Just closing this out with the final tires I ended up with on the car.
    P175/80R13 Maxxis brand. The size feels and looks right for the car. I bought mine from Walmart.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

The tips that Jeff gives are really important. I had to buy my tires and wheels early to establish car setup of the gasser height. BUT, on my last Falcon, the one you see in below (yellow) I did everything to prevent overspray on my tires and still got some. Never got all of it off. Also, while we are on the subject of 13" tires and wheels, I am going to keep the ones that came with my new car for just that painting operation. BUT, I have the 13" hubcaps and would like to sell them to buy more parts for my car. Also, pic of the 15" tire I am using on the rear against the 13" for comparison. Pictures. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Hi Larry. The first time I looked at your car was at the Hot Rods and Hogs show in Maltby. Awesome car. I have since purchased one. Question for you, What size 14" tire can I fit on my original 64 Falcon Futura 2dr H.T ?

Hey Gordie, sorry I missed your note. I had P23560R14's on the car. If I was to do it all again on that car I would have installed something smaller on the front. Just for looks anyway. The front tires did barely rub on the inside of the wheel well but I never felt it. I just say a little of the undercoating was rubbed off. Best of luck with your car. Did you go to the Hot Rods and Hogs show today. That is my favorite of all the local shows. I didn't go this year. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Thanks for the come-back Larry. Yes, I entered the Hot Rods & Hogs Show. Probably half the number than normal. Slight drizzle of rain most of the day. It was still a great show put on very well. All volunteers deserving a applause. Hope to run across you at a show soon.