Thread: Please take a look at this bell housing, release fork, and clip

Please take a look at this bell housing, release fork, and clip

This is my bell housing for my 200 ci Ford inline six that I installed in my Falcon 12 years ago, the release bearing fork, and a metal clip that fell out from some place and I didn't notice where from. The engine and trans were pulled from a '70 Maverick and were the big bolt pattern motor with the big V8 3 speed transmission but mated to the 200 six by the factory.

My first question is, with that release bearing fork in place, isn't there anything holding that fork in place or does it just sit there with nothing holding it?

The Falcon manual I have shows a wire spring piece but that is for a '64 Falcon and what I have here is a 1970 Ford Maverick set up with a heavy duty 3 speed top loader trans, not the small peanut trans, so maybe things are different?

I don't recall any spring holding this in place when I installed this new fork 12 years ago.

Any insights?

Next, what is that little spring(?) clip I'm holding in my hand, where does it go? As mentioned, it just fell out when I was moving stuff around to clean it before reinstalling it all.

In one photo I'm holding that spring clip over the bearing release fork wondering if it fits somewhere around there, does anybody know?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look at this thread maybe it will help.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...ead.php?t=2505
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Hi, thank you for those links, they definitely help me understand the original Falcon set up.

Unfortunately for me I have a set up for a later car and today I learned that what I have is a broken fork. That little spring clip? That's riveted to the fork and the spring steel fatigued and snapped, I guess that part was not a quality part!

I am going to have to find a replacement for it, I'll try Falconparts.

Thanks again for the input and the links, they were helpful despite my misfortune. :-)

I was gonna tell you to flip the fork over and look at the "rest of that spring clip" riveted to the fork, but I see you figured it out for yourself by the time I read through the rest of the thread.

Good luck on the search.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"