Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interior redo on my wagon

Well, here's the latest. Things are going together pretty well now that all the hard stuff is done. Still have a bit to do, but shoudln't be an issue getting it done in time for the show. May have to upgrade my charging system though...

Here's a picture of the new 1/0 gauge wire installed to feed to the amps. I've got yet to install the 1/0 gauge grounds, but they are made up.

Here's where the 1/0 gauge snakes into the car... just behind the shifter hump. The other wires in the hump will connect to the back-up light switch if it ever comes in time. The orange wire coiled up are speaker wires. Dynamat is installed front to rear, but I did that years ago. Want a quiet car? That's what you need to do.

Here's the amps installed and all wired up. I think if you look close to the left and the right of the picture you'll see the new retractable seat belts I added. They j u s t fit between the panels and the seat base.

Just a shot of what the interior is like today.

This is the temporary sub panel. They want (gulp) $1500 to do the mirror image of the spare tire cover, so that's going to have to wait for maybe a very long time. This one cost me $8 and one hour of time.

Just sitting there for the picture. The paint to match the vinyl doesn't exist, so I used three different colors and made it work. You can kind'a see the front panel just ahead of the wheel well.

And there's more to come...
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; July 25th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Just a couple more pictures focusing on the other changes...

Items of note: The under dash deck mount and the new chrome shifter ring.

I set the system up to be able to turn off the amps and set the deck to power up these under dash speakers. Normally these are not powered up, but if I do a drive-in theatre (since I live next door to the last one in the world) I wouldn't be able to feed the amps for very long without running the engine. May not be enough (as I said) even if the engine is running. Hopefully it will, but I doubt it.

Here's the rear door panel(s). One thing I had to do was to add the new windlace and since the rear section of the rear door panels were not "finished" so I fashioned a length of windlace and glued it to the back side of the panel so it would cover the unfinished edge. Lookes far better that way, I think. You can see the seat belt retractor as well.

Here's the front window beltline modification with the glass in. Works really well. Don't know if I totally like the look, but the glass is snug.

Another view...

Well, that's where I'm at. Should have the car powered up again tomorrow. Only a few things left and then comes the fun job... rubbing out all the paint to remove the overspray....
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; July 25th, 2008 at 12:56 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

So the vacation ends tonight and though I didn't get it 100%, I'd say I'm at about 99% for what I started. Still have a few things I plan to do before the show, but they're mechanical things. So here's some of the latest pics.

Hope you all are actually enjoying this... These pictures sort of speak for themselves.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Here's a couple pictures showing the new taillights I won off eBay. I need a switch to actuate them, which I ordered on-line... but when a package arrived yesterday - no switch. It's backordered! Kind of bums me out 'cause I could have bid on one from ebay that only went for $15. I could use one if anyone has one (hint-hint).

Also fired up the stereo. It rocks! These two 8" Fosgate speakers, as a sub, sound just fine. May not do the $1500 custom sub enclosure (like there was any doubt in my mind about that anyway).
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Thought I'd post that in the end I had a lot of nice comments on my wagon. Unfortunately the thing was so jam-packed with PA equipment during two of the shows (Friday and Sunday) that it wasn't easy to show off anything.

Also on Sunday as I was wiping the car down I noticed I must have overtightened the rear-view mirror and cracked my windshield.

Yeah, that's how I felt. I'm not sure cracks are repairable like daisies are. If not it'll be coming out this winter maybe anyway to prep for a new headliner. I'll be also replacing the rear-quarter glass rubber and repainting the rear quarter panels. If all goes well anyway.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Roger, I was re-reviewing your "interior" thread again today, as I'm gathering pieces to redo my Ranchero, when I noticed that it appears you had the "chrome" bezel for your instrument panel re-plated. If this is true, would you share where you had it redone? My particular dash is the Deluxe version and I have 4 pieces to redo, but would like to follow-up on resources as my dash pieces are pretty poor looking.

I have gathered almost all pieces from Dearborn and dearly hope it comes out as great looking as yours!

Gene
    PS.... would still very much like a chance to come and view your wagon in person. Are you still going to be available 'tween the holidays?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Gene,

Call Norm at Shine On Me Restorations. He specializes in Falcon trim and can handle the plastic bits too.
    http://www.shineonmetrim.com/
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 16th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Gene,

I redid it myself. It's not rechromed. I just used that "Almost chrome" spray paint and masked everything off and "sanitized" it. Looks 95% better than it did, but have never even considered spending the money to go chrome.

As I mentioned in the Tis the season thread my boss cancelled the holiday break this year, so my two free days are not free at the moment. Will have to try for a weekend in the new year I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Roger, I was re-reviewing your "interior" thread again today, as I'm gathering pieces to redo my Ranchero, when I noticed that it appears you had the "chrome" bezel for your instrument panel re-plated. If this is true, would you share where you had it redone? My particular dash is the Deluxe version and I have 4 pieces to redo, but would like to follow-up on resources as my dash pieces are pretty poor looking.

I have gathered almost all pieces from Dearborn and dearly hope it comes out as great looking as yours!

Gene
    PS.... would still very much like a chance to come and view your wagon in person. Are you still going to be available 'tween the holidays?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"