Thread: T5 Transmission is finished

T5 Transmission is finished

I now have a hot rod. I love the tremec 5 speed over the C4. Drove it for the first time today and it is fantastic. Didn't have to cut the driveshaft, it looks like whoever put in the first C4 must have had it shortened. Buying everything from Modern Drivelines made it go a lot smoother. There were some issues.
    The speedometer cable exits the tranny right at the crossmember so had to cut a hole and a slot to get the cable to clear. Had to rework the clutch cable mounting plate. It wouldn't work with my after market power brake booster.

Clearance to my headers is better with the T5 bellhousing than it was with the C4 bell. With the S-10 tail housing on the T5 the shifter came right into the hole in the floor where my C4 shifter was. Much cleaner installation without all the tubing and hoses to the radiator.

During the test run I got it to 60 mph and the rpm's were 1600. Before at 60 I was at 3000. Everything is working the way it should and it's much more fun shifting this thing. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Warp factor nine, Mr. Scott.

"I got it to 60 mph and the rpm's were 1600. Before at 60 I was at 3000."

Dang. What do you think that your top speed is now? 120 mph?

That is great Larry. Now I want to do that to mine. My car sits at about 3300RPM on the highway. What are your diff gears?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

So if 4th gear is 1to1 it should turn 3000 @ 60 and 5th gear [overdrive] only drops it about 600 or so how can it be 1600 ?? jh

Wow Larry - you are fast! I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out which parts I need to buy for my C4 installation and you are literally already driving circles around me with your completed non-stock conversion. Nice work.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I think Larry may have hit that magical speed like in Back to the Future and is now living in 1964 with a Falcon that makes all other Falcons pale in comparison.

Just a ping to you Larry, thinking this may send a message to your email. People are wondering, as we all do, if all is well with you? Let us know when you can.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Sorry, I havn't been in town for the last month and while we travel I don't get on the computer very much. As far as your question JH. I don't know much about the numbers you mention. I only know that at 60 miles per hour I was at 3200 rpm. I just drove it to play golf in Marysville last Tuesday and at 70 I was right below 2000. It has a .63 5th gear and I have a 3.35 rear end. So those of you with higher math quotients in your IQ levels maybe someone can figure that out. I will give anyone a ride when we get together, for those who are interested, so you can see the actuals now. All I know, I love the difference in how it drives and the noise level at cruising speeds is much better. Especially when I remember to close the headers off, just too much fun when it's loud.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Hey larry what is the tire size on the back and the kind of tire ?? ...jh

They are BFGoodrich TA Radials size P235/60R14
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry I have figured that with your tire size and rear gear you should be turning 2700 or a bit less in 4th. do you have a GPS like a garmin, if so put it in your car and check your speedometer, I'am not sure what 5th would be but I don't think it drops more than 500-600 rpm...jh

Unless I'm missing something, and if John's calculations are correct, shouldn't the OD 5th gear run .63 of 2700 RPM... which is 1700 RPM. Right where this thread started.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Assuming a rear gear of 3.35 and a 25.1" tire diameter and a four speed manual, the engine RPM will be 2691 at 60MPH.

Now consider that the C4 has a third gear ratio (same as above) of 1:1 but does not have a locking converter. With converter slipage the RPM will be close to 100RPM higher.

The addition of the T5 will have a 4th gear RPM at 2691 and a 5th gear RPM of 1695.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI