Thread: New guy

New guy

Hello All. I'm new, so I thought I say Hi. I'm currently working on a 62' futura. Just bought a t-5 transmission to put behind the 302 I'm installing. I dont know how to put pictures on a computer yet, but as soon as I find out Ill post some. I was glad to find a community that I could get some info from, cus i got lots of questions. I'll need to get a rear end before to long. Havent done to much research, but heard post 74' maverick is the way to go. I dunno. Any suggestions? Look forward to talkin to yall.
    Last edited by guydudebro; June 11th, 2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: for fun

Hi guy...hey dude...yo bro...welcome!

I was lucky and found a pretty nice 8" from a `70 Maverick at the Pull-a-Part. Here's some info from my website:

http://www.redfalken.com/pages/rearend.html

I'm no expert on rear ends (OK I can hear the jokes now!) but hopefully there's some helpful info for you.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks for the info Redfalken. I wonder is there a rear end that I could buy that I wouldnt have to shorten?, or is that just not an option with the 8"? Also I really like the interior of your car. I currently have bucket seats, but I'm going to swap for a bench. I like what you did with the middle console though, cus I,ve always loved the looks of those things, but at the same time you cant beat the bench seat. Nice creativity.

The stock 60-63 rear is 56" wide. The Maverick is 56.5" or 57". I don't recall exactly. The Maverick rear will bolt right in but you'll have to be careful with wheel size.

I put a custom Currie 8" in my 62 that is 55" wide. That is as narrow as you can go and still keep the springs in the stock location.

That T5 your installing. Did you go with the S10 tailshaft option? That puts the shifter in close to the stock location.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I'm pretty sure I remember the Maverick being 36.5". Some people are able to roll the fenders out just a bit without getting the rear end narrowed but I would only do this if you are doing bodywork and plan to paint the car afterwards.

There's a special piece of equipment for this http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT but I've heard of people who install the new rear end with the tires on and slowly roll a wood baseball bat between the tire and inside of the lip of the wheel opening on the fender.

Sounded kinda scary to me so I opted for getting it narrowed. Saved some money and I hate buying tools I'll probably just use once.

There might be options with different wheel offsets that would let you keep the stock Maverick width but you'd have to do some research.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I'm pretty sure I remember the Maverick being 36.5".
    I think you mean 56.5".
    Patrick Brown

thanx for the info. No I didn't opt for the s10 tailshaft, I heard that it moved the shifter location forward, but I'm going to be switching from an automatic to a manual, so I'll have to cut a hole in the floor anyhow. I just hope I"ll have enough clearence to put in the bench seat. Do you know how far up it moves the shifter location?

So a 63 would bolt right up? Did the 63 with the 260 come with a 8" or were they still using a 7.25?
    Last edited by guydudebro; June 14th, 2008 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    I think you mean 56.5".
    Oops! That's what I get for posting so late. I was getting punchy...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

The 63 that came with a 260 would have an 8" but it will have tapered axle tubes.

The S10 tailshaft places the shifter in front of the seat. The standard T5 places the shifter right where the lateral floor support is. You'll need to do some fabrication to reinforce that area after cutting. You may want to keep the buckets if you think you'll need to push the seat forward of that brace. Pull your front carpet and you can easily find where that brace is.
    Patrick Brown

Awsome. Thanxs for the info. I will check that out. I currently have the tranny sitting on my work bench, so I can possibly still change that tailshaft if i decide to go that route. I currently just about have the stock 170 out of the car. After that I'll try and get the new 302 inn, to see how it fits. Then I will get the tranny mounted, and see how it fits. I wasn't exactly sure where the shifter location was going to line up. I've seen alot of people who have done the swap in mustangs, and I know they've been done in the falcons also, but haven't seen them to much in the early falcons. I'm going to make a trip to the pull apart in the next couple of weekends, so I may grab a tail shaft if I come across one.

If you find an S10 with a T5, grab the whole tranny. You'll probably need some pieces besides the tailshaft and the housing.
    Patrick Brown

GDB, Not sure where you're at, but if you're local there's that 8" rear-end I was told about in the Parts Wanted section. It's still available as of yesterday for $200. It's from a 64 Falcon, so I don't know how close that matches a 62.

According to Lengendary Ford Magazine, I just found (again) the article about rear-end lengths, they listed the 64-65 Falcon length (drum to drum) as 58" but don't list the 60-63. They start this section also saying that a '73 Comet rear-end fits into 60-63 Falcon exactly. Good luck finding one of those though.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"