Thread: Side mirrors

Side mirrors

So what is the story with side door mirrors? My 66 does not have them, nor holes to show it ever did. I have seen some models with them and some without.
    Going to install my wink mirror off the 68. If it's not too wide, that is.
    I have not measured it yet.

1966 Ranchero
    Everett, WA

Believe it or not I think side mirrors were an option on theses cars. Not sure what year the NHS made them mandatory. I have had several and some had them and some didn't?? I couldn't drive with out my side mirrors!!

They were, in fact, a dealer installed option and dealers had many different shapes and sizes (depending on the year) and there was never a method to the installation madness. I think it was left to the owner where they wanted them - or to the installer who installed them. Fenders, doors, you name it.

So, even today, they are installed the same way on our 50-year old cars: Choose a place, a mirror style, and drill your holes.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Back in the day EVERYTHING was a option on inexpensive cars and trucks, my 63 never had a cigarette lighter or even a knockout for a radio, my fifty 56 truck only had one door lock (on the passenger side). 90% of cars and trucks didn't have passenger side mirrors and early 50's turn signals were a option.
    Olgraybeard

Yeah I was really hoping this one had a cig lighter but no luck.
    I have an extra side mirror from the 68 we will use. I really like the way it looks without side mirrors and wish I didn't have to put a hole in my nice door.
    Just ordered weather stripping for the doors.
    The battery tray needs to come out but two bolts are "rust melded" and I think they need to be tapped out. Once the tray is gone, my Griffin radiator fits in there nicely.

1966 Ranchero
    Everett, WA

Side mirrors

My 64 had a mirror on the L/H door, so I decided it would be nice to put one on the R/H side. So, with my superior I.Q. level, I transferred the measurements from the left side to the right side and drilled holes and installed the new mirror. Eureka!!. Looked great, but when sitting in the driver seat the mirror is totally useless. The wing window blocks out the whole view. So, moral to the story is? One may have been good, two would have been better, but only with afore thought.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker