Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine dies issues

Engine dies issues

Ok so the first gremlin on the Ratchero started up a few days ago. She runs fine and is driving great, however driving down the highway I will get about 10 mile from home and the car acts like it is starving out for fuel. It never dies but I will need to pull off the road, let it idle for a minute and then drive the rest of the way to work. ( about 3 miles) I took apart the carb and cleaned it . I have pulled the fuel line from the carb and started the engine to check fuel supply from the pump and it looks good.
    I am wondering if the fuel pump is just not "good enough" to keep her running at highway speed for extended periods of time. I can drive around town all day with no issues?? I hate to buy a carb for it if it is not needed.
    Any ideas or suggestions?? Thanks Steve

Does this fuel pump have a filter in it? The can on top of the pump come off? It does sound like a filter or something impeding flow.

On Sunday I went to install the pump that came off the Flarechero and wanted to throw a new filter in and clean up the pump a little. When I removed the filter can - OMG - the crud that was in that can, and in the bottom of the pump. I tossed the pump. I had another brand-new pump up in my shelves.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Mine has a pump without a filter. I have another pump I think I will change it. I am 90% sure it is the pump. Just wanted a second a third opinion. Thanks...

So I puled the pump off of the pole car. It has a filter and will work on the Ratchero. So I pulled the can and found this to be a brand new pump, brand new filter etc... How lucky can you get, just saved me $60. Hopefully that will solve the problem...

We can only hope that car isn't like Christene and all these parts will now take on a life of their own.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

We best be careful if both the chero's show up in the same place. They may morph into one big nasty one???

So I found the fuel pump is the culprit. It keeps enough fuel in the carb to run all day at low speeds. How ever at highway speed is doesn't keep up and I run out of supply. 30 seconds of idle and it is off to the races again.
    Now I found the other pumps I have don't work so I have one on order. Are there different pumps for the 200's? My block has 5 freeze plugs or could that be something else that makes this one different?

Order one for a 65 Falcon with a 200 and you'll get the right one. No vacuum wipers, I think, by then.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

There is a strainer attached to the fuel pickup in the tank. It may just be clogged with many years of crap.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

So I picked up a pump for a 65 Falcon. It does not work??? The arm that goes into the block has the wrong curve on it. It went over the lobe instead of under it??? Found the right one in a catalog at the parts house and it is on order.
    Pulled the sending unit to double check it, and it was all clear. I was kind of hoping it was bad because this fuel pump is a pain. Have to research this a bit more and find out what the hell this engine is exactly??

That is wacky. I have (including this weekend) installed a half dozen pumps on these motors and they would almost all interchange - though some do look different. And it seems some have the lever ride above the lobe and some levers ride below the lobe.

A picture might be worth a million words here, but I can't see a 65 200 pump not fitting - unless you have something that is not a 200 6.

Pictures- pictures- pictures.

And no- the pump rides on a cam lobe. The lever should be about 2 1/2" long, straight. On my pumps it is angled up at about a few degrees as it enters the block. The pump I installed for Joanna this weekend had the lever pointing down.

The following two images are the three I am most familiar with as of today. The one with the canister has the canister pointing up, so the lever points up too. The one with the vacuum lines (similar to Joanna's I put in on Saturday) has the lever going down. The one like Gary used has the line on top, I think, so the lever also goes up into the block - like the one with the canister.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"