Thread: Bench test a Tach with a Battery Charger?

Bench test a Tach with a Battery Charger?

Has anyone ever bench tested a Tachometer with a battery charger as explained below:
    When hooked it up to a V-8 tach's input (+ve to tach +ve and -ve to gnd), it shows exactly 1800 rpm.

A 120 Vac 60 Hz battery charger puts out an imperfect DC voltage. It is actually a pulsating DC voltage that corresponds to

1800 rpm for an 8 cylinder,
    2400 for a 6 cylinder
    3600 for a 4 cylinder

I did this with my tach and although it lit up the needle never moved. Suggesting that it is kapput if the above test is valid.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; February 19th, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Answered my own question, update above.

Is it an original Sprint tach? Read in modified mustangs that Ford had a design flaw....... they hoooked up their tachs different. If the sprint dies..... it could be from the tach being hooked up different. Get scared now every time I look at my tach.....
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Yeah, I couldn't answer the original question for sure (other than to say, "why not just use a real motor to test it" ) but I do know they ran the ignition circuit through the tach, so it the tach fails, the engine dies. And then you have to bypass the tach to get the car running again.

I don't have one, but if I did I would figure out what that bypass is and wire a switch in to throw to bypass the tach in one second.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It is not an original Sprint tach it's a 2 5/8 Sun mini. I had it hooked up to the car as well and no joy there either. Looks like new/old tach time for me. The Early Bird Swap Meet at the Puyallup Fair is in a few weeks (2/18-2/19) maybe I can pick up something cool there.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; January 31st, 2012 at 08:03 PM.

How does that meet compare in size to the spring meet in Monroe?

I go every year. It is the big one at that location; about the same size as Monroe, maybe 25% smaller. I like it because it feels a bit less disjointed to maneuver to each booth. I never leave there feeling like I didn't get to see every vendor.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Im going also. Maybe someone could show me how to bypass this later.... Maybe on the tech day.
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by BillP 98201 View Post
    Maybe someone could show me how to bypass this later.... Maybe on the tech day.
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 63 Sprint with the tach option? If so, it would be easy to draw up a plan for the bypass.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"