Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagon build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wagon build

Here is the wagon fresh back from the paint shop and home in the $175 Harbor Freight garage.

It's pretty small but when the sun is out it is easy to roll up the side tarp and go to it.

oh.. the 2 x 12s are using the weight of the car to hold down the tent. You are supposed to stake or bolt it down to the ground so it doesn't end up in your neighbors yard. I thought it was a good temporary solution and helps my wife believe it will be taken down someday... a hard sell if I'm out there with the rotohammer and concrete bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; January 4th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Looks great Jeff. i hope mine gets to that stage some day..... Send me pics of those parts you need, or just stop by for a visit... By the way if you go back to when I first posted on Sedan delivery pics, it has a good shot of the roof rack on my car. I will get som closer measurements tonight if I don't forget....
    Keep up the great work it is keeping me inspired right now.... Body work sucks...

Very nice Jeff. And the wagon looks pretty good too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It looks even shinier up close!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Kenny says, "Do one thing a day".

Lao Tzo said "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

Here are my "steps" last week:

1) Rebuilt both vent windows: Fifty years of California Sun can really do a number on those rubber seals. It's hard to believe that all those black chunks of ceramic looking material next to the bare window frame used to be pliable. It was quite a chore getting it removed from the frame.

2) Install the new hood to cowl seal and align the hood.

3) Strip the dash naked in preparation for paint. Whomever installed the Instrument Cluster at the factory must have been amazingly flexible. To remove one of the screws that hold a wire harness bracket I had my arm stuck through the speaker hole in the top of the dash. There was a moment of panic when I couldn't easily remove my arm from the hole... I had a flash of the recent movie where the lone hiker wedged his arm between two rocks and used his leatherman to amputate. I am not looking forward to the reinstallation.

4) Mount primary hood latch. I am pleased the painter did a nice job cleaning and spraying the underside of the hood. It was pretty rough when I brought it in.
    Last edited by Jeff W; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Tomorrow's project: machine the division bars. These mount behind the vent windows and provide a fuzzy channel for the door glass to ride in. I chose the less expensive generic bars so I need to make the two on the left look like the two on the right.

Easy to do with a Bridgeport Mill. Not so easy with a hand held Dremmel. Guess which method I'm stuck with.

Roger's request to post more fabrication pictures.

After several months of disappointing Pull-A-part searching, I bought the Jaguar Gas Cap on Ebay for about $22 with shipping.

The "Cup" assembly was also bought off of an Ebay vendor but not from an auction. I searched around for a vendor selling a cap where the photos were taken with the cap still mounted on a car (junk yard obviously). Just emailed the seller asking if they would be willing to cut the well from the fender and how much. It was $40 including shipping. I asked for about a 1" lip of the old fender.

Kenny and I did two things to this "cup assembly" before cutting the fender to weld.
    1) The cup assembly is basically a "turned up" well that is spot welded to the "turned down" lip of the fender. Some careful grinding separated the spot welds that held the two together. We just used the inner cup portion.

2) Moved the drain nipple. As you can imagine, this thing would fill up with rain water. The old mounting position on the Jaguar was level, now that it is slightly slanted, the old drain nipple had to be moved to the lowest point of the well. Cut off and fill the old hole, weld nipple in new position, drill hole through the middle. I'll just stick a length of rubber hose to exit the the water.

Here are the only other pictures I took other than the items in the other post.

I have not connected the new filler to the tank yet. The Jaguar cap is 2-1/2" hose - I'll get a length then bring it to a muffler shop and have them bend the gentle "S" to make the connection. Let you know how it goes.

Thanks Jeff-

I bought one of these too, but can try to see if one of the dealers on ebay will hack out that piece. My guess is I'll end up fab'ing my own. And with my driveways being so steep, the original spot for the drain may be best all the way in the back for 90% of it's life.

Did you get a key with yours?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"