Thread: 289 HIPO cast iron exhaust manifolds?

289 HIPO cast iron exhaust manifolds?

Hello again,

Wondering if anyone has experience with these manifolds. IS an H pipe necessary for these to flow properly? I am considering purchasing a pair from the the good people at Northwest classic falcon. Thanks
    Sean

You can go straight back, use an H-pipe, or use an X-pipe. If it were mine, I would run 2 1/2" pipe with an X-pipe and dual turbo style mufflers.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick,

I am curious what the difference is between the HiPo and the standard 289V cast iron manifolds? Or for that matter after market Hedmans or the like. Also other than the obvious why use X pipes instead of H and the turbo muffs instead of 50 style Flowmasters? The reason I ask is that I am in the process of setting up the exhaust on my '65. I have had the original 289 built to 305 specs using Edelbrock performance series heads, 4B carb and manifold. I have also installed Hedmans. I have got 50 style flowmasters ready to install. So am wondering what the considerations are in building the exhaust (except to be at the mercy of the shop I have it done at). I also realize I do not have a HiPo motor. I would guess finding one would be next to impossible. Comment?

Jerry Kirby

Headers are the best choice but there are drawbacks to everything. My preference would be long tube headers, short tube headers, and HiPo cast iron manifolds in that order.

The iron manifolds will provide a more stock look that many like. Headers require periodic bolt tightening to prevent leaks.

The HiPo manifolds have the exits to the rear where the standard manifolds have the drivers side routing the pipe under the engine to the passenger side for a single exhaust.

I'm not a big Flow Master fan due to the interior droning at some cruising speeds. Your mileage may very. Muffler choices are very personal. I'm getting too old for the loud hot rod sound even though the Hooker Max Flow mufflers I have now are far from quiet.

Buy a tailpipe kit from Summit Racing (part number FLO-15807). This is a tailpipe set for a 65 Mustang with 2 1/2" pipes. This is the hardest part of the exhaust and will help your muffler shop. Just hang the tailpipes, attach the mufflers, and then add the section from the engine to the muffler.
    Patrick Brown

Thank you Patrick,

I have been educated. I too have tender eardrums (brought on by advanced age) and would prefer something mellow. Do you think I would be disappointed by the Flowmasters ? I intended to use some sound deadner in the floor, trunk and doors would that help ? Do you have any suggestions for a more mellow exhaust sound. It is certainly easier to change in the planning stage than after installation. Thank you for your help and advise.

Jerry Kirby

Cover your entire interior with Dynamat Extreme. That will help. For mufflers; I'm debating between the Dynomax or Magnaflow turbo style for mine along with some Borla resonator tips.
    Patrick Brown

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Buy a tailpipe kit from Summit Racing (part number FLO-15807). This is a tailpipe set for a 65 Mustang with 2 1/2" pipes.
    does this part fit good or is there some modifying to it? thanx

I don't know first hand but I plan on using it when I redo mine. I've heard from others that it does fit. It's a little short at the rear and may require some extension.
    Patrick Brown

Good morning Patrick,

What advantage would the Summitt pipes have over whatever the exhaust shop would use? Assuming they are a quality shop. I do like the idea of the Borla resonators. I think the SUmmit BOR20104 would work great. Opinion?

Jerry Kirby

The tailpipe kit from Summit are mandrel bent pipes. Your local muffler shop will likely be a crush bend shop. Mandrel bends are smoother, look better, and aren't as restrictive as the cruss bends. The only local shop, that does mandrel bends, is in Auburn that I know of.

That Borla tip looks nice. Buy them and let us know how they work.
    Patrick Brown

I've been seeing comparison on those mufflers. Have you chosen the Magnaflow? Would like to know your feedback.

I ended up redoing my exhaust with 2.25" mandrel bend pipe from shorty Hooker headers through an X-pipe and then to a pair of reproduction Hemi mufflers from YearOne.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chry...93#prettyPhoto

I used the 2.5" tailpipe kit I mentioned earlier.
    Patrick Brown