Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: weird noise or vibration

weird noise or vibration

Bill that is an excellent question. The third member was made by Performance Products. I am assuming the lash is correct, but it may be an issue to look at after I get all these other questions answered.
    Now, as far as the drive shaft. I took it into Drivelines NW today where they made it. Here is the issue. When I put the 9" rear end in the car, my existing driveshaft was too long. So I took it to them for shortening. They showed me that my driveshaft was worn completely out. I agreed. They made a new one, 4" instead of 3 1/2 diameter and were supposed to make it 1 inch shorter. Instead, they made it one inch too long. Took it back and they agreed they screwed up. So, they said they shortened it one inch.
    Took it home and installed it. Now here is where the funny stuff begins. When I talked to them today, they thought, as you, that the yoke might not be going into the rear far enough, therefore creating a vibration.
    So, took the yoke home, measured the distance from the centerline of the yoke u-joint to pinion yoke c/l and called them with that dimension. They said my driveshaft was 1" too short and could be causing the problem. Now, did they cut off 2" the 2nd time? No way to know.
    Anyway, they are going to make a new one. I will let you know what happens and thanks a bunch for all the great input from you all. Together, we can conquer the world, by ourselves we just screw everything up. Maybe a little too philosophical on the conquer the world thing. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

weird noise or vibration

This started out as a weird noise. But now, this is really getting weird. When I installed the 9" rear end, my driveshaft was too long. So, took it to drivelines NW to get it shortened. But, as I mentioned before they said it was worn out. So, bought a new one, 4" diameter instead of 3 1/2". They were supposed to make it 1" shorter, but made it 1" longer instead. Got it home, wouldn't fit, the found out they screwed up, and they said okay, they would shorten it. Well they did.
    I took it back to them yesterday to have them look at the balance and check out the u-joints. While there, I asked to check on the original paperwork to see the length because it was not inside the transmission far enough. The dimension they were supposed to make the driveshaft was 51 1/2. Guess what? It was 50 1/2. They admitted they cut off 3" making it 1" too short. They are making me another driveshaft today and will get it Monday. Sheesh, no wonder I am bald. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    While there, I asked to check on the original paperwork to see the length because it was not inside the transmission far enough. The dimension they were supposed to make the driveshaft was 51 1/2. Guess what? It was 50 1/2. They admitted they cut off 3" making it 1" too short. They are making me another driveshaft today and will get it Monday. Sheesh, no wonder I am bald. Larry
    Thanks goodness you had the documentation/paperwork to back up your claim.

Good luck and let's hope this exorcises the demons!

Cheers,

Ken in SSF CA

weird noise or vibration

I didn't mean it to sound like Drivelines NW has done anything purposely wrong. It was their paperwork. I knew they kept it on file because Alan at the desk showed it to me last time I was there. It had all the dimensions that were used. They have been very good and helpful, just made a couple of mistakes. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Glad you have been able to sort it out - but, what a pain to get there.

Fortunately, for me my vibration ended up being caused by the rear tire. New ones have fixed the problem.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

weird noise or vibration

Well, continuing on in this debacle. Got the driveshaft back. Installed. Took it for a test drive. It's not as bad as it was. IT IS WORSE. They tell me they did a spin balance and it was great.
    Vibration before would go away at about 60 if I let off the gas or gave it more gas. Now, all the time. Just more severe.

I am not sure which way to go now. I don't like this, not one little bit, if it keeps up, I might say s*^$. How's that Dr. Seuss?
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Time to find another drive line shop

Larry - that is odd it is now worse. Seems to me that the driveline must be a contributor if changes to it make it worse or better. You are certain now, with it installed, you only have about 1" of exposed yoke at the rear of the transgression?

May seem a silly question, but when you got this transmission, did your motor need the 28 or 50 oz flywheel and harmonic balancer? If any of these are wrong for the setup of this hot motor you have, it would cause one heck of a issue. Ask me how I know...

Again, the offer is still open to have me sit in the car and feel it for you as well. I can sit in the front and back and try to sense if the vibration is fore or aft - something that is hard to do when you are driving.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"