Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Back on the Road!

What does this mean? : The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts. I get this when looking at this thread, but believe I've read the entire thread

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    I do... would you like me to bring it to the meeting tomorrow?
    YES! I'll be there.

Thank you, Roger!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I guess the good news to all this replacement is your car should be like new when it's over. Nothing wrong with getting new bearings and brakes. I think you will owe me a Coke when we discover it is the exhaust

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Well... it took some digging... but I found it. Not sure why what you are looking for is always in the last place you look, but I found my flywheel and it also has the pressure-plate and disc attached. More inertia I guess.

I didn't think about it until I was already on my way into work this morning that you may need different flywheel to crank bolts (longer?) for this. Maybe not. I'm sure I have some... somewhere. He'll know if there is enough thread engagement or not.

Sorry Freddie is being such a pain. Seems to be the norm for me lately. Nothing I have built in the past few years seems to be working right out the gate. When doing my 289 swap on the Flarechero the C4 had to be pulled due to the wrong flexplate (had a 50oz instead of the 28oz balance) and now on another car the tranny is coming out because they sent a 157 tooth flywheel instead of a 164 tooth - and it wasn't caught in time. Trust me - I don't like taking things apart once they are already together! But it tends to be happening more and more!

Maybe it's me!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I think you will owe me a Coke when we discover it is the exhaust
    To find out for sure, all I gotta do is convince Randy to run the thing UNCORKED! ...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Sorry Freddie is being such a pain...
    At least there is PROGRESS!!!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Progress Report

So...
    Randy installed Roger's flywheel and has run the engine without the transmission.
    The vibration was GONE!!

He's having his transmission guy take another look...

Personally, I still suspect the torque converter... (...or the flex plate?)
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Those are about the only two options - but glad you narrowed it down!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It is unclear to me from your past posting regarding the trouble-shooting. You said:

"He has run the car, in gear, up on a lift and traced the vibration along the entire drive train with a stethoscope. The only thing left to check now is the engine itself."

Does this also mean he ran the engine with the drive shaft out (tail shaft yoke required)? Or in Neutral? This, combined with Roger's flywheel testing would positively point to flex-plate, torque converter, or C-4.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

It is unclear to me how this thread could be called 'Freddie's back on the road' when clearly 'Freddie is back in the shop' would be a better title.

But Gene has a point. We've only narrowed it down to "not engine" and there is a lot going rear-ward, unless, of course, it was vibrating just running in Park and now isn't with my flywheel. That would leave it to be only flex-plate or torque converter. The torque converter should be neutral balanced and I'm not aware of the flywheel/flex-plate on a 200 having any imbalance like the 28/50oz option on a 289/302. Have never researched this.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"