Thread: 144 / 170 The same block?

144 / 170 The same block?

I have pulled my 144 and about to rebuild a 170. Are the blocks exactly the same? I may want to put the 170 crank in my 144 block to save a repair needed on the 170 Block.

Any one know?

Glenn

I know exterior wise they're the same but I don't know about the cranks. The stroke is longer on the 170 by .44 inches. I may be showing my engine stupidity but wouldn't that effect the crank specs?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

The 144 and the 170 have the same bore. Can't say for sure, but it seems like they should be interchangable. You would need to use 170 pistons and rods.
    If you've got both engines torn down to bare blocks, you ought to be able to tell with a few key measurements if the 144 block can be used to build up a 170.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Read the Article Kenny posted about Hopping up the Ford 6.

They talk about stroking the 144 with the 170 internals..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Here's the link. Lots of good photos and info.

http://www.geocities.com/hotrod_inli...ourfalcon.html

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Great Artical!

Thanks for the Info... Great info. Exactly what I needed!

I am good to go!
    Glenn

And I know a 200I6 from Fairmonts bolt on. I was gonna do that to the wagon Nathan is getting, then I decided to keep the Fairmont I bought for a demo car/ motor donor, and drive it....
    63 Falcon 4dr wagon. Factory 260 car, but has a 302 now.
    64 Falcon 2dr HT. All original 260 car with 99,9xx miles. We are the 2nd owner
    68 Torino GT Fastback. 2nd owner, grandparents were 1st. 514,xxx miles.
    79 Fairmont 2dr 6cyl 3spd manual.
    05 F150 Supercrew 5.5ft box 2wd

all 144/170/200/250 heads will inter change, but there is a difference in intake log volume and combustion chamber (c.c.) volume as well.
    There is also a difference in the carb hole size and intake and exhaust valve size.
    Cited From the Perfomance six handbook

you can over come the C.C. size by milling the head to regain compression and get the benifit of a larger intake log and bigger valves when using a later head.

I may be installing a 72 250 head on the wagon Dan is selling me, if that is what is needed..

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; September 23rd, 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Propperly cite borrowed information and spelling errors
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*