Thread: Brake return spring

Brake return spring

Can someone with a manual transmission take a peek under their dash and tell me if there is supposed to be a torsion spring to help the return the brake lever to home position? I know he Automatics have a big torsion spring wrapped around the pivot.
    With the old single bowl master cylinder, my pedal would stop about 1 inch from full up. If I need to find a spring, I would like to do it when I have it all ripped apart.

Hi jeff welcome to the falcon forum, where everyone reads but says nothing..according to the[ falcon shop manual]..yes there is a return spring on the shaft for the brake ....and yes your welcome

FWIW, Lots of people may read a post, but a) not have an answer or b) not have yet had a chance to look. I'm sure if they had anything to offer, they'd respond.

As for the spring on mine Jeff, I see no spring except for the clutch pedal return. Round body's may be different, so those of you with a 62 and a clutch may want to poke your head up there to verify. I looked in my [Falcon Shop Manual for 1965] and there was no mention of a brake return spring in the brake system except inside the Master Cylinder or Booster. The exploded view didn't show one either.

Your results may vary.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Jeff,

I have a complete manual pedal assembly out of a 63 Falcon. It does have a return spring on the brake pedal. My auto setup also has the spring.

You are welcome to look at the setup that is not installed in a car. I can take photos or even hand it off to you though Kenny.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

My manual is the '62 with the anemic '63 supplement. I saw the return spring in the '62 breakdown but had suspected (hoped?) it went away for '63.

It's a big spring that wraps around the pivot point. I know a lot of things can happen over 45 years of use, but I just have a hard time imagining a scenario where this spring would fracture and the previous owner/mechanic would take the time to remove the assembly, disassemble, remove the spring, reassemble and install without replacing the spring. I would think one would just leave the broken spring in place.

Since Roger's doesn't have this spring, I think I'll try it sans spring with the new Master Cylinder first. I had poked around our usual Falcon Sources and haven't run across a replacement spring.

I know it will work fine but my concern is the new mechanical brake switch retro... I don't want to have to pull up with my toe to cancel the brake lights.

Pat, I'll check out your assembly when I return your welder. My floorpans are complete and I'm on to the Generic Dynamat installation.

Maybe they did it for some reason we've not thought of. Perhaps the geometry of a 60-63 is different than the 64-65. I'll still dig out the 64 stuff I have and you can compare it to the stuff Patrick has. Maybe that will show the need to have it.

I will say my pedal does pop right back when released. My brake switch is the type that the plunger shaft pin activates, so maybe that has something to do with it too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"