Thread: Air cleaner and cover. Is this correct?

Air cleaner and cover. Is this correct?

Hello. I have a 1963 Falcon with a 260 V8 and a two-barrel carburetor. The car has presently has an after-market "Sprint style" air cleaner cover and I want to replace it with an original equipment-type cover (see attached photo). The air cleaner cover in the photo was said to have come from a 1963 Ford with a 260. I bought a Purolator A30057 air filter that is 3.23-inches tall and is supposed to fit the car and engine that I have, but it causes the cleaner lid to stick up about 1/8-inch. The lid rests on top of the filter and does not contact the body of the cover. Click on the photo to make it larger and you can see the gap. **Is it supposed to be like this?** Different brand filters for the Falcon all measure the same 3.23-inches high. The air filter cover fits correctly with the carburetor. I am puzzled. If this filter is not correct, what filter should I be using. Comments and or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis in Tampa.

side view horizontal.jpg

Side view 45-degrees.jpg

Lid off.jpg

Hi Dennis,

I don't have a 260 but I checked on rockauto.com and that seems to be the correct filter. I would say that top lid should pull down tight to make a seal. Is there any type of rubber or cork material around the edge of the lid that would make a seal if it contacted the body?

Also, there's usually the same type of seal where the body sits on the carb. That would raise the body a little but. Maybe you can double up on these seals if the channel is deep enough.

These are kind of obvious things but thought I would throw them out there anyway. Hopefully somebody who has experience with your engine will chime in.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Air Cleaner Lid Gasket

Hello, Kenny.

I saw the photos of where your Red Falcon was rear-ended. Incredible. I am happy that you were unharmed.

This may be what my air cleaner lid is missing. I ordered the Mustang part #ACLG1 “Air Cleaner Lid Gasket V8 1964-1967” from CJ Pony Parts for $6.99 with free shipping. It is described as “New sponge rubber seal which adheres to the inside top of the air cleaner lid.
    See: http://www.cjponyparts.com/air-clean...-1967/p/ACLG1/

Here is a picture of how it fits:http://www.mustangcountryintl.com/Us...rge/100846.jpg

I couldn't find any dimensions for this rubber seal. Hopefully, it will fill the 1/4" gap between the lid and the air cleaner body. When I get the part, I'll post some pictures of what it looks like.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 5th, 2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Add information

I used door gasket foam tape.

For a gasket under the air cleaner lid I used 1/2" x 3/4" self-adhesive door & window foam weather strip tape that I bought at Loews for $3.

door gasket.jpg

I wanted the 1/2" thickness because the gasket is soft and squishy and would easily compress to 1/4" thick, but the 3/4" width was too wide. I cut up the center of the strip with a pair of scissors and put it in place. It should do the trick.

gasket & air filter.jpg

side view lid & gasket.JPG

lid and gasket.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 12th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.