Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 302 for Smithkid

I think we should ask "Dr. Falcon".

Gene, just another thought. I was told I should run a simple ground strap form the radiator to the core support of the car. I was told it would help cut down or eliminate the electrolysis that occurs with non-similar metals?? I don't know if this an old wise tale or if it has an validity to it?? But like you said $5 is a small enough price to pay to be "safe"..

Uh... the radiator is bolted with 4 bolts directly to the core support. I don't think another wire is going to help here.

I think this might be more a case when you have a radiator that is supported top and bottom by rubber mounts. That would benefit from this, but me thinks the Falcon is OK in this regard.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Ahhh, that makes sense.. Cross one more thing from my list of things to do...

Had a problem since startup of a "growly" starter. I was concerned that it may have been the wrong unit. With trepidation, I pulled it today and found no sign of mis-alignment or unusual wear, so took it back to the local parts house and they were able to reproduce the growl on their tester (WHEW!). However, they didn't have one in stock and I'll supposedly get a replacement tomorrow afternoon. I guess it sometimes works out that local sources are still good sources when a piece needs to be returned. While I was at it, I also got a couple of other small things done whilst under there.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

After reading all I could regarding electrolysis recently (thanks to you guys' various input), I decided to check the voltage to the coolant today. My DVM reads .000vdc. Of course, I have fresh coolant. However, rest assured this will be something I will periodically check since I chose to convert to an aluminum radiator.
    Last edited by SmithKid; March 6th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

This is good news! Hope the new starter sounds more normal. Did you compare it the others and do they still think you have the wrong one?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

One thing I've learned about Ford starters (on my six at least) is to pay extra for the lifetime warranty! I've had the car for 13 years and went through 3 "the cheapest you have" remanufactured before I bought a good one.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I didn't get a chance to compare it to others because they didn't have a direct replacement on the shelf for the one I have. However, the guy I spoke with today claimed it is the correct unit for my car (agreed with the other guy). I believe the guy today was the manager of the store.

The starter I got was one of the cheaper ones they sell (rebuilt). The units that are touted as HD are double the money to start with, and go up to the neighborhood of 10X the price of this one. If this one goes bad down the road I guess I'll have to step up for more $$, but for now......

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

10x is a little much! I think my latest was $60 compared to $30. And I used to use mine as a daily driver so that's probably 20 or more starts a week.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

The 10X ones are probably aimed at the racer running ultra high compression and maybe long duration cams. They probably crank the engine faster, too. That's my guess, as I have no experience with them. The one I'm currently using is in the high $30 range.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Replacement starter installed today. No growling. Spins over much faster. JOY!

Turned car around to start working on bed and on tonneau. Maybe tomorrow?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Got the bed plate re-installed today (hopefully for the last time). This time it includes the same modification that Roger performed on Flarechero to allow access to the upper rear shock mounts, and allows the bed plate to be sealed. Too bad Henry's engineers didn't design like this to keep the water out of there. This probably would have been a less expensive way to modify this area instead of all the channeling designed in to guide the water out of there (which didn't work anyway), and avoided lots of rusted out Rancheros. Now I just have to do the final caulking and mine will be ready for a bedliner to be sprayed. Great mod Roger!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I think it was stated earlier in this thread or Roger's that I also acquired a tonneau for my Ranchero. At least one other of these tonneaus has developed stress cracks in the fiberglass. So Roger, who installed his before I did, devised a way the stop the "oilcan" effect that occurs in the large flat areas. I decided to do the same to mine, though mine hadn't as yet developed any cracks. After all, the 'glass is 40 yrs. old or thereabouts (don't know when they were actually manufactured). Here are a few pics to show the stiffening braces (wood with a couple layers of fiberglass over it).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Wow - it's almost like deja vu... man. You're almost ready to install it now!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"