Thread: Gas Pedal Adjustment

Gas Pedal Adjustment

It's a long story, but I removed an aftermarket carburetor and throttle linkage from my 1963 260 V-8 with Ford-O-Matic and installed the original equipment carburetor, throttle linkage, and kick-down rod. Everything was great except that the gas pedal height adjustment bottomed out against the read edge of the intake manifold before raising the gas pedal to where it should have been. Because the pedal was too low and pressed against the floor too soon, it seemed like the throttle was not opening as wide as it should be able to.

I finally figured out how to correct the problem.
    1-DCP_4084.JPG

I drilled a new hole in the pedal crank arm further back than the original hole at the tip of the crank. I also used a file and filed the tip of the crank further back. These two modifications allow both the connecting link and the crank tip to clear the rear edge of the manifold. That let me screw the connecting link out to its full length and it raised the gas pedal up to its correct height. That gives a longer arc of movement to the gas pedal and allows the throttle to open wider. I just finished doing this tonight and hope to try out my "hopped up" engine after getting home from work tomorrow.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 8th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.