Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compression on 61 144, advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Dump the six. Do what John Henry is doing.
    Are you confusing me with John again? Oh man...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yep, I can see all those points. I've got a perfectionist streak, and a "don't do things twice streak" and that all conflicts with the fact that it's a bit rediculous to spend too much money on the old car that lasted so long because well...nobody ever had to spend any money on it! I'm not worried about the value of the car...because in that sense it's basically priceless-I'm not going to sell it. Every time I think about upgrading it, I think it will detract a bit from the memories, the story, the nostalgia and the fun of being able to show my grand kids their great, great, grandfathers car- pretty much the way it was (except with better paint, and well....maybe carpet instead of the origional rubber floor which actually costs more than carpet, and maybe vinyl seats instead of the fabric that wore out right away...and oh, of course it's never had seat belts (or killed anyone) in 52 years- but I plan to add them, and...I'm not sure what's next- but I don't think it will be a V8. That will be for another project.

Safety first- I agree. I redid the entire brake system right away. Then took care of the floor. Cleaned the carb (and put in new gas)...and actually got it to run without the choke part way out-and low compression or not it "seems" to run pretty smooth to me. There's a lot of smoke coming out of the motor vents (not the tail pipe as much- I haven't driven behind it but I didn't see a cloud behind me- (then again I have no mirrors! ) When I took it on my one big drive it seemed like she was working fairly hard at 55 mph on highway 99. So...that and the smoke is what drove me to check the compression. However, the car hasn't been driven much a all. (I do have to get a rear axle and seats back in there before i can drive it again.) Really...I just want the engine not to leak oil all over my garage, and run good enough to get up to highway speeds, look good like the rest of the car will, make it on a short road trip, etc. When I starting calling shops- it seemed like to do anything was pretty pricey...so that's why I was looking at the total rebuild-which was actually cheaper than some of the custom shops around here to just do part of the work. Then there's taking the engine out again if I want to do something else to it. AND, I'm going to paint the engine compartment red again...If i take the engine out for that anyway...how easy does this engine go in and out? Anyway, after I get the axle and seats back in, I'll take it for another drive and put some oil in there and follow your advice Roger and really check it out so I know what really needs fixing, (I can't stand not knowing root cause), and hopefully maybe I just need to replace some seals and do some other basic stuff. This engine has had very regular oil changes every 3000...thanks again everyone-all comments appreciated!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Just a follow up...finally checked the compression again. I did a before and after.
    I wasn't able to drive the car this time (no axle yet), but I did warm it up as good as you can in a garage. (~30 min at around 1200rpm) On average the readings (before squirting oil) were a bit lower than before (~-10) maybe because it's winter instead of summer, or maybe the different warmup routine? A bit rushed with the family waiting to go to dinner..so I only check four cyl, after squirting the oil in there...one cyl increased by 10, one by 25, and two by 20 psi.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree