Thread: Exhaust riser valve top spring.

Exhaust riser valve top spring.

Hello, I have a 1963 Falcon with a 260 V8. My air cleaner cover snorkel is missing the top spring on the exhaust riser valve. The attached photo is of the of a 1967 Fairlane 289, but you can see the spring in the snorkel in the upper left hand corner of the photo. Click on the photo to make it larger.

Does anyone know what the part number for this spring is, and if it is available somewhere for purchase? What is the correct name for this spring?

Thanks, Dennis in Tampa.

exhaust riser valve spring.jpg

It's a later year thing, I think. Not 100% sure. It is likely a thermostatic spring that closes the door when cold (hot air off exhaust manifold) and slowly opens the door when it gets hot. Combats carb icing. Here's one from National Parts Depot for a Mustang:

http://www.npdlink.com/store/product...43686-407.html
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Snorkel "Thermo" Door Spring

Thanks, Roger!

I realize that this says that it is for a 1968 302, but it might work. The heat temperature coming off the manifold would be the same. The size of the flapper could not be that much different (I don't think, but we shall see).

Description:
    Snorkel "Thermo" Door Spring for 1968-1970 302, 351C, 390, 428 & 429.

"An exact replacement for the original, this spring will close the snorkel door to insure the carburetor receives pre-heated air until it warms up and the actuator opens it again." "Concours Correct Spring attaches snorkel thermo door to snorkel base Replaces Ford Part # C8AZ-9A652-B."

I found this picture of the spring and it sure looks similar to what is in the Falcon snorkel (click on the picture to make it bigger):

Thermo Spring.jpg

I'll add the spring to my snorkel flap valve and see what happens. I can stick it in the freezer and the oven (on low) and see if the flapper moves up or down. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, Dennis.

Last edited by ew1usnr; January 7th, 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Snorkel "Thermo Door" Spring

I received the new snorkel spring in the mail and when I looked at it reminded me of a spring that had been lying in the bottom of the box that my air cleaner housing came in. I had bought the air cleaner off e-bay a few months ago and didn't realize then that the spring was part of the air cleaner. The old spring was almost the same as the new part, but the old spring was made of a little thinner wire and was a tiny bit shorter. I took a photo that turned out to be blurry. I can't retake the photo because the spring is installed, but it should help a little in seeing what I am describing (see below). I hooked the spring in place in the snorkel and saw that the flap was still almost completely closed. I put the snorkel it in the freezer overnight to see if it would open up when it became cold. When I looked at it in the morning, the flapper valve had not moved. The unit unfortunately does not work and I do not know why. Hmmmm. The good news is that it very rarely ever gets cold enough in Tampa to make this feature necessary.

DCP_3627.jpg]
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 10th, 2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Wrong photo was attached.