Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Back on the Road!

Freddie's Back on the Road!

I know that there are metal holley dashpots. Not sure which one you would need. Go to ebay. As far as the spring, when I had the single four barrel it had a dual spring set up that was pretty stiff.
    Jeff's sadistic answer sure got a laugh out of me. Jeff, what would we do without you.
    I didn't realize the dashpots were so expensive. Before I would worry about the spring issue, and you check if pushing back on the throttle to the dashpot works? Best of luck. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    ... but I do recommend you start a vigorous exercise routine so you have the strength to overcome the added pressure that will be required on the accelerator pedal after spring installation.

My setup uses dual springs, but they are very light. The gas pedal is so light it's actually quite touchy. I would prefer a stronger spring!

I did see a metal dashpot on the interweb that looked about the same size as the Holley, but it was $93!! Not gonna spend that much for a "maybe it'll fit" part!

Thanks, guys!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Can you poke around the Pull a Part and see if you can find something that may work off another rig? Likely be only a few bucks. You can give all the springs a good feel and maybe find a factory metal dashpot. Wear you galoshes.
    Last edited by Jeff W; January 14th, 2016 at 09:57 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Okay, I found a dashpot on ebay. It was even listed as an "NOS 1963 Falcon" dashpot. Must be the same one Dennis has on his 260! It is all metal, looks exactly right, and I couldn't resist the coincidence!

It should arrive around Jan 26.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Naw, it's not the same as Dennis'. I just went back and looked at his pictures. It looks like a perfect replacement for the stupid Holley one, though!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Dashpot

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Naw, it's not the same as Dennis'.
    Hello, Gary.

I looked at my notes (I keep good notes): On 8/02/13, after first checking unsuccessfully with Advance and O’Reilly auto parts, I bought a new Autolite 2100/4100 Series Carburetor Dashpot w/ Bracket off e-bay for $49.99 + $5.80 shipping = $55.79. The Champion Auto Group “had these made specifically for Champion Mustang! Brand new dashpots with brackets for the Autolite 2100 and 4100 series carburetors. These are exactly the same as the original dashpots down to the patent number on the reverse side. Includes mounting screw, dashpot, bracket, and mounting nut."

I had thought that $50 was expensive, but I could not find the dashpot anywhere else.

Flash forward to 1/17/16. I looked on e-bay and saw that they are now selling that dashpot for $249.99!!!!!

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autolite-210...25.m3641.l6368

Autolite 2100 4100 Series Carbuetor Dashpot.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 17th, 2016 at 07:37 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Plus they are on back order!

I did look on the Champion website and they are still listed for your original $54 price. The ebay seller is getting a pretty good mark up, but good gig if you can get it.

http://www.championcarburetor.com/58...t-p-10627.html

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Okay. I'm finally at my wit's end.
    I installed the new dash pot, tried to adjust the throttle return springs so there would be significant installed pre-load. Still, the dash pot doesn't let the throttle drop gently back to idle like it's supposed to... it JUST WON'T LET THE THROTTLE DROP BACK TO IDLE AT ALL!

The only thing I can think of is that the surface on the throttle lever that addresses the end of the dash pot plunger isn't quite perpendicular to the plunger. Could a slight side load on the plunger cause it to bind up? The only way I could see to remedy that would be to bend the tab on the throttle lever, and I would be VERY ANXIOUS about trying to do that!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Okay. I'm finally at my wit's end.
    I installed the new dash pot, tried to adjust the throttle return springs so there would be significant installed pre-load. Still, the dash pot doesn't let the throttle drop gently back to idle like it's supposed to... it JUST WON'T LET THE THROTTLE DROP BACK TO IDLE AT ALL!

The only thing I can think of is that the surface on the throttle lever that addresses the end of the dash pot plunger isn't quite perpendicular to the plunger. Could a slight side load on the plunger cause it to bind up? The only way I could see to remedy that would be to bend the tab on the throttle lever, and I would be VERY ANXIOUS about trying to do that!
    Post a close-up photo of the linkage at the carb.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

First shot: Side view overall linkage.
    Second shot: Front view looking down at plunger/throttle lever interface.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

Always test the throttle response without the cable first. Make sure the experience is the same this way and with the cable attached to the pedal.

Also, if you apply force to the throttle linkage, can you force it to the correct idle speed?

If you push only on the dashpot, how much further does it travel?

If you disconnect the cable to the pedal, how much further can you pull the cable towards the front of the car. It should offer little resistance for at least another inch.

Really, the dashpot spring should be less than the return spring so they are not fighting each other, and the return spring should have the same effect with and without the cable to the pedal attached.

Process of elimination requires removing some part of the equation and see if the same results exist. The only thing that should ever vary is the speed of decel to idle with and without the dashpot.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"