Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club Membership

Club Membership

After the bleak attendance at the last meeting - and the mini regional, as well - I have gone though to check where everyone is; things like, who's still listed as members, who have let their dues lapse, who are selling their cars (or have sold them already) and leaving the club as a result. or who have simply moved or are now or have always been "out of the area." It appears there are really not that many members who are nearby anymore. Members yes, but not local members. We have members who are not on the forum as well, but I don't have much information about them yet.

We've always had issues with members being too far away (like Florida) to come to meetings, but there needs to be a better way to know how to proceed. That's my goal here.

If you are all unaware of this little page, have a look. See where you are on this list and whether this lines up with where you thought you were. For instance, many just don't realize they are no longer paid members:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showgroups.php

I'm also opening up this thread to allow (beg) users to comment on what they'd like to see happen. Goals they'd like to see in the club, but are not being met. How they might be able to help. Anything that is on your mind, please say it. This thread will hopefully help us plan for the club's future.

Thanks-
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

OK I guess Ill dive in.
    I'm probably one of those that has slacked off a lot since last year, and yes I'm behind on my dues. Probably behind on my national dues as well. Life has definitely got in my way this year. I usually make it over to Seattle at least once or twice a year but this year I have not. No one to blame for that but me.
    For me I think the club as a whole has not been as active as we were a year or two ago. Tech days were being scheduled a month or two out and now there have been very few. The club seems to only have one or two "club" events a year. The Monroe swap meet, and usually the BCC show oh and the mini.
    I would love to see a club event monthly although I know it will be hard right now to get enough support to do it. maybe if enough people are interested we could do a function the Saturday after the meeting?
    As far as meetings I know from previous clubs that most people want the fun without the work. Got nothing for that.
    So that's my take so far and Ill get off my *** and get current since I still have the club plate on the front of my car.
    Lets all try to put the effort in because I think the club is worth it!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Being a brand new member I hope to meet others and attend the mini get together once in awhile. Still having active kids at home (one just finished up her softball season at the 65th game and I was a coach on three different teams) my schedule gets fairly limited until mid to late July.

I do plan on being a member for a long time.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Appreciate the input so far, but hope there is more to come from the rest of you.

Technically I consider you both to be the same distance away and would expect neither to feel comfortable with attending meetings. One may be more miles away, but one has a long drive or ferry trip (depending on the choice) so it probably takes the same amount of time coming and going. I know it has been the key reason few, if any, make it to paid activities over on Doghows side. We've made a lot of the tech days, because this is far more important to the betterment of the members. Not always as easy to make shows that charge $25 on average now, and pay ferry charges, food and drink, and gas - to show off the car. Costs as they are these days - I've done no car shows yet this year.

As for activities, we've not done more or less these past few years. Tech days happen as often as anyone asks or needs them to. No ask, no tech day. We did good the first year of the mini, but the second year was far more arduous than I thought it needed to be. And then this year not much representation from our club - though there was pre-interest. The day-of was altogether different.

Anyway, not going to belabor this a lot more myself. This is your opportunity to ring-in and let us know how interested you all are in this club and how we can move it forward... regardless of what forward takes it to. I'll post if nobody else does to keep it in the top 4 for a while.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Not always as easy to make shows that charge $25 on average now, and pay ferry charges, food and drink, and gas - to show off the car. Costs as they are these days - I've done no car shows yet this year.
    I can see the cost side with all the extras. I'm putting mine in the Kittitas show at $15 on Aug 13. (the best redneck part is watching the burnout competition in the afternoon). But, again that's a little drive for you. Not sure how many shows I'll do as everything through July will be taken up by softball. However, I do really want to meet some people and attend a mini - just gotta time it right.
    Last edited by Gitanesteel; July 27th, 2016 at 04:24 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Distance participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Appreciate the input so far, but hope there is more to come from the rest of you.
    Maybe you could video the high points of a club meeting and post them on YouTube?

Thanks, Dennis in Tampa.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Club Membership

I mentioned this a while back about getting the monthly newsletter going again. It is computer related and I admit my lack of knowledge, but it does take knowledge, and the older you get, the harder it is to come by.
    I still believe it would help, and if anyone who is a computer geek has the time and patience to work with me, I will go forward.
    That newsletter would be a good way to communicate our activities, our meeting minutes, national news and good rebuild advice and on and on.
    Roger gave me some advice on a site to utilize, but I couldn't figure it out. I hope someone takes the newsletter on as a project. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

It looks like I have been dropped. Doesn't surprise me, I don't think I've paid any dues in YEARS! I've mentioned that it seemed like it had been a long time since I've paid any dues at some of the past meetings, but was assured that I was up to date!
    I think I used to get an email notification when dues were due. I don't think I've gotten one of those in a very long time.
    In spite of trying to sell my Falcon, I do want to stay current with the club, both the National club and the local Chapter. I recently paid my National dues (was sent a notification), and would like to pay also for the Chapter. I no longer have a PayPal account, so I would need to mail a check, or something.... If someone could please tell me where to send it? Perhaps Jeff could PM me?

As for suggestions for the club...
    It would be nice if there were some sort of occasional get-together other than meetings, shows and tech-days. A cruise to somewhere.... Impromptu show-and-shines.... Something to draw in the Significant Other, or the Whole Family.
    We had a cruise, years ago, to Fall City and Snoqualmie Falls. Anyone remember that? It was great fun! As far as I know, we've never done anything like that since.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

The club has been priceless to me, but I haven't been able to get to meetings except one because it's hard for me to get to after work. Now that I'm going to be out of town for another couple years...I can't really say much, but if I was in town (and I'll be back) I'd say...
    It would be nice to have a meeting down south now and then, and better yet a little get together at a park or someone's garage on a Saturday.
    Sometimes in the summer, a lot of people are just gone too. I'm not sure meetings need to happen every month.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Has anyone looked into moving the club meeting to an area that is closer to where the primary members live?

I dont know the seattle area well enough maybe thats already the case.

I don't know what else can be done to improve attendance.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Club Membership

There are issues with summer attendance, that seems to be a concern each year.
    We talked about having the meetings every other month and a work day the other month. Not sure why we changed back??
    We seem to have the same group at almost all the meetings. We really need everyone to get involved and give input and ideas. The club hands out some great items at the end of the meeting at our drawing. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration in "great". But maybe we can do better as an incentive?
    Roger can't run this group all by himself.
    The information that Roger put out concerning active paid members is excellent because a lot of people just don't think about it. Also, I am going to keep harping about one thing that needs to happen. Information. Meeting minutes. With attendees noted.
    It would also be good if a list of the paid members list was sent out with a check mark or something stating if they are coming to the meeting. Something like a RSVP list? It might make it possible to see that a specific meeting might not make sense.
    You asked for input.
    As far as having the meeting in a central location. I think that was pretty well thought through by the officers.

On a different note. I drove my Falcon today and I love the 4:11 gearing instead of the higher gears. First time it's been driven since last years Hot August Nights. Also tried out the line lock and it seems to be working fine. Didn't burn the tires yet. Taking it easy on the new posi-trac until it is broken in more.
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I have little doubt that a lot of club related issues (all clubs, not just ours) directly relates to how well the president works for the club. I'm guilty of not being overly organized in creating club events, which is in my job description.

As for locations, and meeting frequencies, we are fairly central to all paid members. Some have to travel further every time, and I know that is a challenge. Considering I have to make every meeting (with only a couple exceptions, so far), the location has to be something I can make. That is the biggest hurdle in a community so vast and disconnected. When travel is via a few, often highly congested, freeways - no location is ideal. Also, meetings are bi-monthly and have been that way for a couple years now.

I have talked to other chapter presidents and they lament the lack of attendance for meetings and club events. They have lost some of the drive to do much more unless the membership participation coincides with their efforts. We all agree there has to be a balance. I do work pretty hard on this forum answering questions, but it has not been without some level of consternation.

Finding the time to coordinate other activities, I will admit, is not so easy for me to do. A lot of it comes, now, from burn-out, which is why we are supposed to rotate officers. An attempt to do this last year failed. When nobody wants to step up and participate at that level, eventually it will simply stall, or end.

On a less gloomy note, I received an email from Monte last week describing how another chapter president was able to reach out using the national membership list (specifically those who live in the vicinity, but may not yet be active at the local level). Interesting reading and I still am digesting it. It described using the national and local FCA membership lists as a way to be active in communicating to new members. Something, I also admit, is not something we (I) heartily do.

Again, thanks again for all the input. It's been healthy dialog.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"