Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement parts question

Smile Replacement parts question

Hello to all

I am planning to get a new starter and a new generator. I am looking at these parts from Napa.

RAY 449625 starter
    NAE 66370 generator

Does anyone know if these will work well with my 1963 170ci?
    Have any of you guys replaced yours, and if so what with?
    That Napa generator is 30 amps, was that stock in 1963?

All help, comments are welcome,
    Guy

I looked at them on-line and they are the one's they say will work. I wouldn't be concerned.

The 30-amp rating on the Gen is about all those could put out back then. Certainly not enough for modern automotive electronics (car stereo amps, etc), but if you're going mostly stock electronics, you're good to go. My Ranchero had a pretty decent Gen and regulator. May have let the gen go at the swap meet (don't see it lately), but I have a pretty new regulator up in the loft. I'm going with a one-wire alternator. You want it - come on by and it's yours.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

I thought the Napa parts would be ok for my 63 170ci but it is just good to get confirmation from someone with more knowledge. Makes me feel more confident with my decission. This is my first Falcon. I am running all stock right now, including 63 radio, but have plans to install a reproduction AC unit. This car is my daily driver and air is a must. I have no plans to add anything else. What do you think, will that generator be able to handle the AC unit? With the complete engine rebuild I believe the engine will be able to run AC. With the engine rebuild I am hoping for about 25HP above the original stock power. One of the things I was looking at was going from a 2 row radiator to a three row. Do you know of a 3 row that will work without modification? My car has a fan blade only, no fan clutch or radiator shroud.

Hey, that offer is really nice of you. Thank you. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico so dropping by would be great but I am affraid I will have to pass. I am certain someone else in our club could use it, and it always makes me feel good when I can help someone else.

Speaking of our club, I sent the paperwork and payment into the FCA a week ago but have not heard anything back yet.

Enjoy the weekend,
    Guy

Hey Guy. If you're a decent shade tree mechanic you might consider converting to an alternator. It's fairly low cost and is a simple project. You would need the alternator, regulator, and a bracket.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Smile

I'll have to think on that one Patrick. I am hung up on the original look but also realize I may need to adjust my thinking as I rebuild this car.

I will be sandblasting engine bay parts tomorrow for restoration. I will try and get a before and after picture on a couple of parts as I go to post.

Thanks,
    Guy

You sure need AC there,but maybe not here, at least this year, they do make a alternator in a genarator case , not cheep...john h.

Guy,

Some things just shouldn't be kept original. Finding ways to do it, but being period correct, will satisfy you more than keeping things stock just for the sake of keeping it stock.

We are, for instance, a huge advocate for upgrading the brake master cylinder to a post 66 2-stage system. In fact we will do it for any member of the local chapter. They just need to get the 67 Mustang master cylinder.

Converting to a 65 and later alternator is really a pretty simple task, and will go a long ways toward keeping up with any electrical system demands you may have. The electrical system on the pre-65 Falcons were marginal at best as they are (fuses, the few that there are, on the headlight switch). Ford didn't fuse a lot of the wiring, so the more load you put on it, the more you risk stressing some of these weaknesses. At the very least, run a circuit from the battery (battery side of the starter solenoid), with a 20 or 30 amp breaker. Just about any Ford vendor sells this -ask for the same thing that feeds convertible tops.

I am doing another one-wire alternator on my Ranchero after having already done it on my wagon. Wire from alternator to battery. Nothing else. Voltmeter on the dash is all I need to know it is charging. Nothing easier than that, but it's a little pricey @ about $200.

Hope this helps.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

Good morning guys,

The one item I want over stock is an AC unit. I'm thinking I may go the alternator route. When I get up to that point I will need some help getting parts selected.

Right now I am going crazy waiting for my engine to get back from the machine shop. The new Comp Cam and Fel Pro gasket set came in this week. I'm excited!

Included some before and after pictures of my horns just for fun. The restored one is the passenger side horn.

Thanks for all the responces,
    Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guy,

I probably have all the bits you need to do the swap, which I can make you a sweet deal on - including an alternator which has probably less than 500 miles on it. Say - $75 for it all plus a few bucks for shipping. I think that's what your Generator was going to cost you, pretty close.

So think about it. Don't go crazy. I already have that title wrapped up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"