Thread: C4 question

C4 question

Hey all,
    I have assembled most of the parts for my I6 to V8 conversion on the 65 Ranchero. One of the last things I need to find is a C4 trans. I know that the year of manufacture will make a difference, but I am not sure what the difference would be. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
    Troy
    The pain is only temporary

The January 2009 issue of the National Falcon News has an article that list "everything you will ever need to know" about the C-4 differences. If you don't have your copy, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jeff

c-4 trannys

The original C-4 on my 65 Falcon had the "green-dot" drive selection on it that let you start out in 1st gear, and it also has a second drive selection that lets you start out in 2nd gear. I prefer the later C-4 valve bodies that had the regular 1st, 2nd, and Drive selections. You can take a later valve body (after 1965) and replace the "green dot" version if desired. I've heard that the internals on a V-8 C-4 are stronger than the six cylinder versions. You will also need to think about what type throttle/tranny linkage you will be using...column or floor mounted shifter, etc.

Al Aiello

Look for a 72 or later C4. You want the 26 spline input shaft and a press in vacuum modulator. Get one that came from a V8 car. They had extra clutch disks.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI