Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Little @ time

Hey guy I thought this might help....jh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

Happy New Year to all,

Have not done much over the holidays, but did manage to install the new battery, voltage regulator, and ignition switch. Turned the key and nothing happened. Jumped the solinod and the engine turned over. Going to get a new solinod the week. Get it installed and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help,
    Guy

I don't know if I remember this right or not but I remeber having this problem years ago. You might try swapping the two small wires on the solinoid. I think one wire is from the key to engages the solinoid and the other is to give the coil a straight shot of 12 volts to help the spark on cold starts.

A simple voltage test can be done rather than trying new part after new part. Pull both little wires off the solenoid. When you turn the key to the start position, make sure the wire to the solenoid with 12 volts to it is the one you put on the 'S' terminal. The 'I' terminal only gets 12 volts - out that terminal - fed from the BAT terminal while in the Start position. This to feed full 12 volts to the coil on start. Once you let off the key to the Run position, the coil gets about 9 volts through the resistance wire from the switch to the coil. The solenoid work is done at that point and at all other times other than START there is nothing happening at the solenoid other than 12 V at the bat terminal (because it is still hooked to the battery) and the 9 V (being fed backwards from the coil) to the 'I' terminal. The voltage there doesn't feed or do anything.

Really sorry this issue is not resolving itself simply.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 7th, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: poilish
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Unhappy

Thanks for the help,

I did get a new solenoid, installed it, turned the key to 'ON' and the generator and oil lights come on. But when I turn it to 'START' nothing happens. I will check if I am getting 12V on the 'S' terminal when the key is in the 'START' position. At this point I am wondering if the new ignition switch is good.

I will say, it is getting harder to get out in the cold shop, especially when I cannot get anything to work!

Hi guy..do you have a wire diagram for your car? if you were closer I would come by but....unhook the small start wire from the sol. turn key to start and check to see if voltage goes to the sol....jh

Smile

Who you guys pulling far in the Super Bowl?

I monitored both the small coil wirers individually for 12V with the key at 'START'. No voltage on them. I do have 12V at the back of the new ignition switch. I am thinking the new switch is bad because the ignition circuit closed and started the car with the old ignition switch. The old switch had to be replaced because after starting with the key back in at 'ON' the starter would not stop running.

Any thoughts,
    Guy

Put the old switch back in and check you wires on the start solenoid. Mine did the same thing and I had the wires switched on the starter solenoid.
    My 2c. Roger where are you???

Where am I? Right here.

This is very frustrating, even for me. I have a painfully clear understanding on how this starting system works, but it is hard to relay concepts like this via a forum - or even a wiring diagram.

This is a very simple system. Painfully so. Even still, systematic approaches must be followed to determine what a failure might be; like, the switch.

What I would do is break this up into two tasks:
    1) Diagnose the cranking circuit.
    2) Diagnose the starting circuit.

Use the attached wiring diagram. Make sure the wires as seen at the switch match what you see in the diagram. Then follow the wire on the diagram to the other end. Check voltages there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"