Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8" Rear End for my wagon

Wow, it's been two months since I stopped on this project, but got the old rear-end out and the new one up and in this last weekend. Hooking up the brakes now while I await the new brake hose coming from Modesto.

I took measurements of the driveline and took mine and a pull-a-part driveline that was actually the correct length, but needed one end swapped on it, to Drivelines NW in Everett. The guy there was fascinated (and truly amazed) by my previous work on shortening mine from when I did the 4-speed swap. Hey, all I can say is that it didn't shake and saved me at least $251.14 back then.

I figured while I was out dropping things off to have them done (rather than me taking things into my own hands... I'm slacking, I know) I took a core steering box down to Red Head Steering and they (in one day) rebuilt my box. If everything Jay Baker says about them is true, I'm in for a dramatic change when that goes in.

Sadly... as I was under the car this weekend I noted a puddle of water under the engine, so I cleared off the stuff I got stored on the hood and had a peek -- guess I'll be replacing a freeze-plug or five before I start driving it this season. May as well just send the headers off to be coated since I got to pull those off to get to the freeze-plugs. No need to stop while I'm on a roll.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Don't you hate that. You start out with a simple plan and the farther you go the more you find to do. I feel your pain, but I can't take mine any farther apart so hope fully no more surprises for me. Show us some pics when its done, I'd like to see that cause I just scored that 8" for my project.
    Maybe I will make it over to a gathering soon now that the Ranchero is running good. (doesn't look to good though).

I took the day off today to help my neighbor load up his truck and headed over to Drivelines NW this morning first-thing to pick up my new driveline. It wasn't done yet. "Oh, he's working on it now. Should be done around 10AM." OK, drive back home and drive my neighbor to get the truck and car trailer and loaded until about 1PM and headed back to Drivelines NW and picked it up. It only cost $160, which was leas than he'd quoted me. Not gonna complain. Now I just need to crawl under there and hope it's done right. Didn't get a chance tonight since I only just finished seeing my neighbor off on his new journey. I know, it would only take 10 minutes -- but I'm shot.

I also picked up my Red Head steering box on Thursday evening -- feels really nice. That should be an interesting thing -- if it's anything like what Joel said. Amazed they could turn that around so fast. They must have had 100 boxes in various states of repair in that shop.

I ordered a brake hose for the back, but they only listed lengths and fitting sizes, not the hole size for the vent bolt (why??). So the $35 hose came and it had the small hole and I needed a large hole. And with the special order -- no returns. So, I cut the large bolt last night, bored it and tapped it to the 1/2-20 of the small bolt, and contoured one end to match the tube and with some Loctite - screwed it in until it was flush. Now I can use the new hose with the small bolt. What a pain, but it'll work fine.

So that's where it stands. Should be able to work on it some more on Sunday, I hope. And I'll get some more pictures taken and posted.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 23rd, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

OK, realized I'd forgotten to shut off the lights and lock up the garage from earlier today -- so curiosity got the best of me. The driveline fits. And by the way, it's the same length as yours Kenny - 53", but I've got the small yoke on one end and the large one on the other.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Well, here's a few pics of the rest of it installed. The brakes are on as is the driveline. Still need to bleed the brakes yet, but will get around to that soon. As you can see in some of these photo's I should do some other things,,, while I'm at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 20th, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Humm... this picture didn't appear..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"