Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8" Rear End for my wagon

8" Rear End for my wagon

I know...

I'd consider getting another 7.25" as well. I'm hearing some growling from back yonder coming back from the XXX the other day. Don't want to pull it apart and find it bad and not have a backup.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Hold out for an 8" if you can. I really like mine. The 2.79 gears compared to the 3.5 in my 7.25" make it a nice highway cruiser. And with my fairly stock six it's not like I'd be smokin' off the line anyway.

Prowl the Pull-A-Parts and check craigslist!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Roger,

I have a complete 7.25 from a 64 hardtop if you need it.. I'd be willing to drive it over the mountains for ya too..

I know where a 70's comet is.. I'll see if it has the 8" rear.. I have a 8" center pumpkin laying around with a mystery 8" housing if you need.. not sure what they were out of.. might be good for customizing

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Nathan - Thanks for the offer. Were you planning to drive over here anyway for something? I don't feel worthy to have you come all that way just to do a parts run. What would it cost me in gas to have you do such a thing anyway (of course I'd want to do at least that -- and maybe offer you an old 3-speed tranny, in return).
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Roger,

Nope no plans for going that way, but I'm sure I could find a car to purchase while Im over there. (Like I need another falcon), but a XXX burger sounds good.

The wife wants a 64 Hardtop.. Anything from 63.5 to 65 works for me..

I dont need a 3 speed I have a replacement for the one I gave you.(thought you gave it to someone else?) interested in another? I also have a c-4 that was behind a 250 six so it has a sbf bellhousing.. hmmm I have two complete front ends one four lug and one five.. I have another set of five lug spindles. ummmm two steering boxes. some wierd 8" rear, another set of sbf headers, couple of starters, two generators, a complete used but running 170, and alot of other misc stuff. PLUS the 7.25 that I'm offering you.. no idea on condition other than it was pulled from a driving car that the owner swapped to v-8 stuff.

Good news is cost of gas isn't $4 a gallon, bad news is my truck has a thirty gallon tank and takes about $75 at $2.50 a gallon to fill it..

Not sure when I could drive over, but that can be worked out later if needed.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan and Jen Cooper

Thanks Nathan. I'll check, but my bet is that's a 5-lug 8"

As for the stuff you have, maybe if I don't find something by spring...

I'm off this week, so if the weather holds I'll freeze my way into the Pull-a-Part and see what they have, if anything. Maybe even go to the one in Tacoma too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Roger,

Sounds good to me. I just sold the v-8 suspension stuff so I'm down one box in my garage. I'd like to eliminate some more stuff.. Though I have another set of v-8 spindles to pick up still..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Well... I hit the Lynnwood Pull-a-Part yesterday and low and behold they had two Mavericks there with 6's -- but no rear end in either. They were a '73 and a '74 so they were probably 5-lugger versions anyway. It was only the '70 version with the 4-lug 8", right?

They both had pretty complete 250ci engines. One had the head pulled already -- sitting alongside the car. So if anyone wanted one of these, their work is already done for them.

After striking out on the 8"er I walked around to measure anything else. All later Ford 4-lug went 4x4.25, but I found a mid-70's Toyota wagon with a 4x4.5 pattern and rear wheel drive. No, wouldn't do that. (It was too puny and narrow, anyway.)

So, the search continues. Or, now that I'm feeling a little better (came down with some 5-day crud on Christmas Eve) I may just go pull the cover off the 7.25 and just look in there -- at the very least. No real way of knowing whether it's got bad bearings without a total dismantle, but I can check ring/pinion condition and end-play. Too bad the garage is colder than it is outside and the floor even colder.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"