Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24F Battery with Tabs

24F Battery with Tabs

So it's time to get a new battery for the `62 and I can't seem to find a 24F that has the foot or tab on the bottom (short edge) for the clamp to hold it down. You can see one on the first image but newer ones are just smooth sided.

I could just drill some holes in the tray and put on an aftermarket hold-down that goes over the top of the battery but would rather stick with the clamp.

I think I have a "Super Crank" brand or something and don't remember where I got it many years ago. It's getting a leak and I've probably had it for 6 years or more. It does have the bottom tab though.

Anyone been battery shopping lately?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I've looked and can't find them at a regular retailers anymore and can't stomach the cost for a concours correct Autolite battery.

I made my own mounting tabs on my wagon (I have an Optima battery in it) using a pair of large SS hose clamps tied together banding the base of the battery. Holds pretty good, but no telling what would happen if it got smacked good and hard - and I hope to never find out.

On the Ranchero I did something else, which is only a half-hearted attempt to hold it down - so far. I bent an L-bracket the height of the battery and then folded a side over and slid it into where the carry straps go. Holds one side OK, but on the apron side it is still free.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Try running a couple of drywall screws through the battery tray and into the bottom of the battery

I am going to use a top hold down with the two threaded rods from a 1967 Mustang. I will need to fab a tab one the engine side of the tray and likely drill a small hole in the inner fender apron for the outer rod. Not ideal but better than what I have now...gravity.

A good friend of mine did a clever custom battery hold-down with a shiny Snap-On open end wrench with two holes drilled near the end. I'll see if I can find a photo.

I have a spare Optima red top if you want to see how it fits.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I had that same thought about making a strap to hook where the carry strap goes and put some pressure on it with the clamp. You should be able to make one just like it for the apron side. You would just need to be careful with the height so it puts a little downward pressure on the battery.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

My car's not "rat rod" enough but the wrench idea might work for the Flarechero. You could also weld the correct size nuts in place and use them to put the hold down rods through??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

24F Battery with Tabs

I guess I can't chime in here too much since nothing on my car is stock. I like the screws through the bottom idea Jeff.

At batteries plus they carry a battery that might work for $64.99. They said they could order it and have it in about a week. Is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...tandard/1.aspx

Looks like it has a tab. Interesting.

I love this:
    Primary Applications: Golf cart, lawn and garden and more...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"