Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 24F Battery with Tabs

I drive by that place twice a day, but there's just something about a place called "Budget Batteries" that keeps me driving right on past. Will be interesting to see if you have any issues going forward.

They do sell fake covers for batteries - but they cost almost half as much as a new battery. I agree, some of the labels are pretty ugly in a car you open the hood on.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Since I replaced my old battery with a Costco/Kirkland one that was much smaller I had to secure the new one somehow. After reading the thread and thinking about the tabs I decided to use the tab clamp in a different way. So I did this tonight for under $5. Used Flat Punched 1/16 inch thick and bent it to the proper config, rolling the edges to ensure no random hand damage (cuts, scrapes, etc.) would occur in the future. Better than a bungy cord I guess .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; January 8th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.

Smile

The tab you made looks great. With the new battery and hold down tab it looks to good for your battery tray.
    Guy

I noticed that in the pictures too. I'll tackle that when I do the engine compartment "clean and shine" project. Maybe when it gets warmer.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint
    powered by: 289 V8 | C4 | 8" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kdl9hq2

1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe "K-Code"
    powered by: 289/271HP V8 | 4-spd | 9" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kk3cfqc

I was going to post an observation, but shoot I always post observations. And then I thought, "I know, so what's stopping you now?" So here is my observation...

I assume this is pipe strap, which is pretty strong when it comes to pulling strength, but not bending strength. I would suggest adding a bolt lower on the fender apron. This will keep the strap from bending outward at the bolt you currently have on the apron. I did a couple photo edits to show you what I mean. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 10th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Thumbs up

Well it is Flat Punched 1/16 inch stock so it is pretty hefty for the task at hand. I do like the lower mount point you have illustrated which would alleviate any chance of outward bowing/bending. I just wish I would have thought of it at the time of fabrication and installation . Now I have to figure out if I want to add another bolt or shorten the strap and just have one and then plug the other hole I drilled.

Thanks for the input, it makes it a better and stronger design.

Two bolts are better than one. I'd just drill another hole down yonder, slap a bolt in and a nut on the underside and call it good. Be sure to check for "things" on the back-side before you drill, of course. You should be able to do it with a hand drill and a 5/16" bit in just a few minutes.

On a side note, I highly recommend this to any of you who work on your own car and want to drill into sheet metal. Go to Harbor Freight and get one of their 3-piece step-drill packs. They're always on sale with a coupon for about $8. These things are surprisingly high quality (for Harbor Freight) and make perfectly round holes in sheet metal. I have a set in every tool box. Anyone who uses drills a lot knows you get a rather "triangular hole" using a regular drill bit in sheet material.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Smile

Could you tell me what benifits you get from installing a smaller battery? And I don't blame you for waiting for warmer weather for a clean and shine!

Guy

No benefits, other than easier to re-install and lug around. I suppose you could make the case for more room around the pullies, belts, and the generator/alternator but for me, I just needed a new battery to get to the Jingle Bell Cruise. At the time the Costco I went to did not have one in stock that "matched" the Interstate one I had. They had one with the poles reversed that was close but then I would have to get longer battery cables, etc. He then looked in the catalog and this one showed up for 64 Falcons and Mustangs so I took it for $60.

What the experts say about Kirkland and Optima Brands

Kirkland
    If you're a member of Costco then you will be able to purchase the Kirkland batteries. These are some of the best value batteries on the market. They can handle extreme temperatures, have very long life spans and are very affordable. Don't turn up your nose at these great value for money batteries, because Kirkland batteries are ranked right up there with Optima, some of the highest rated and most expensive high performance batteries on the market.

Optima
    Optima Batteries will last two or three times longer than a normal conventional battery as we know them.
    This battery can be used in many different types of vehicle and used in any terrain. The battery will never spill acid if it is overturned in a vehicle and includes a vibration resistant design. The actual cells are wound in a spiral. This is quite a clever construction because it gives a larger area of coverage for the lead alloy electrodes. The power is greatly increased, when compared to our normally shaped battery. All of this comes with a higher than normal price

If ever you need to recharge an Optima battery then this can be accomplished up to ten times faster than a normal conventional battery. Optima spiral cells batteries have now been in development since the early eighties. The teething problems with this type of battery are now long gone.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; January 10th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint