Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heater Core Replacement

Well - I'll bring what I have - you bring your defecto cable... and we'll figure something out. Will that do'ya?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Upcoming Heater Replacement

Hello,

I need to replace my heater core. I already have a new plastic plenum and will order a new 2 1/2" heater core and a heater seal kit from Falcon Parts.

Heater Core C0DZ-18576-A .95.jpg

Do need anything else? Would I need, or would it be nice to have, these cowl seal retaining clips or heater housing clips?
    Cowl seal retaining clips 4488.50.jpg

Heater Housing Clip .50 c0df-19a779-a.jpg

Mac's sells this heater to cowl seal for ... $49.95. Yikes. Is that generally necessary?
    Seal C0DF-18A566-B - Unavailable.jpg

Macs also sells this "water outlet cap" for $2.95. What is that for?
    Water outlet cap .95.jpg

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 13th, 2015 at 02:47 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Glad you're about a week ahead of me Dennis...I'm interested in how all your parts work out. Especially in how that heater core works out when you get it.

fyi, Kenny has a post about (what I think is a better solution for) the heater to cowl seal (~$10 or so in parts from Lowes...and I think a longer lasting solution too.) the "seal" in mine was nothing but a wire-the rest was totally disintegrated ... Darned if I can find that post now though...hopefully he'll jump in. I don't think I'd buy that part until after you read his post.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

That was in a TFFN thread:

http://www.tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic...&hilit=+heater

Yea, I wouldn't go nuts and buy a stock seal unless you've got the money and want everything stock. It is more convenient to install than what I did but I doubt you would even have to mess with it again over the next 5-10 years.

There's not much back pressure in that system so it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even some closed cell foam cut to size and large zip ties would work. You will get a crick in your neck trying to see it once installed!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I can never remember my TFFN login and dread going there most times anyway (for this very reason; namely, that you must be signed in to see anything), but before I digress further I'm trying to figure out what seal we're talking about. Are you talking the fresh-air intake part? The rubber one that disintegrates in a year - even when bought brand new? If so, then yeah - do something different. I like the Mustang sleeve as well. It fits over the heater-box flange and just presses against the cowl. Essentially a piece of 1" thick foam rubber made into a sleeve and tall enough to get compressed when sandwiched between the box and cowl.

heater to cowl.jpg

I do have a few spare 'used' parts for these heater boxes, so if anything is totally rusted away, or something, I may have a less rusted part.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Heter to cowl seal

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Are you talking the fresh-air intake part? The rubber one that disintegrates in a year - even when bought brand new? If so, then yeah - do something different. I like the Mustang sleeve as well. It fits over the heater-box flange and just presses against the cowl. Essentially a piece of 1" thick foam rubber made into a sleeve and tall enough to get compressed when sandwiched between the box and cowl.
    Hello, Roger.

Is this the same foam rubber sleeve that you are describing?
    Scott Drake Heater Box Inlet Gasket at Cowl 1965 - 1970 c5zz18a569a.jpg

The correct Falcon part costs $40, but these Mustang pieces are only $3.56 at Summit racing.
    See: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sd...RtkaAqC08P8HAQ

I will not be able to remove and disassemble my heater box for a few more weeks. Once I get it apart I will be able to see what parts are needed.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis, Did you get your new heater core yet? Wondering how it looks.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Heater Core

Hello, Don.

I have delayed working on the heater due to needing to study for an exam that is scheduled for this coming Friday. Maybe I will be able to take it apart this coming weekend. I want to see the dimensions of the existing heater core before I order the replacement.

Falcon Parts.com listed a "One 1960 – 1964 Heater Core – 2 ½” thick, C0DZ-18576-A." and said "This is the correct heater core for all models of the 1960 - 1964 Ford Falcon & Mercury Comet. If you have one of these models with a two inch core, it is incorrect." Mustangs evidently used a two-inch thick core and a spacer. A two-inch core might flop around in the heater box without a spacer. Some of the heater cores also vary somewhat in length. Falcon Parts, unfortunately, said that they are out of stock and cannot say when they will have more. This is the picture that Falcon Parts shows:

D FP Heater Core C0DZ-18576-A .95.jpg

It looks like this used original 1964 Falcon heater that was listed on e-bay:
    D Original 1964 heater core.jpg

This is one listed for a 1963 Ford Falcon with a V-8 from Radiator Express. It is 2 1/2" thick, but the hose attachments are different:
    Inlet: 5/8
    Outlet: 5/8
    Core Size: 7 3/4 x 6 x 2 1/2
    Construction: Copper Brass
    See: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...tL2RoCUy_w_wcB
    1963 Ford Falcon 4.3 liter V8 heater core Radiator Express .04.jpg

This one from Dearborn Classsics looks correct, but they do not provide dimensions. Notice that the bottom looks different than the bottom of the one sold by Falcon Parts. I don't know if that makes a difference. See: http://www.dearbornclassics.com/1963...and-comet.html
    Dearborne Classics 64-86444.jpg

I just saw this one at Summit Racing for $55.91. It is listed for a 1964 Falcon, but the dimensions look correct:
    Heater Core Inlet Size:0.625 in. (5/8")
    Heater Core Outlet Size:0.625 in. (5/8")
    Heater Core Length (in):8.000 in.
    Heater Core Width (in):6.000 in.
    Heater Core Thickness (in):2.500 in.
    See: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pl...ations/?page=2
    Summit Racing .91.jpg

Advance Auto Parts has the same part for $10 less. See: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...4-P#fragment-2

Advance Auto lists this one as an exact fit for a 1963 Falcon, but it is two-inches thick. That is why I need to take my existing one out and measure it first.
    Core Height: 6 in
    Core Material: Copper Brass
    Core Thickness: 2 in
    Core Width: 8 in
    Inlet Size(s): 5/8 in
    Outlet Size(s): 5/8 in
    Tank Material: Brass
    See: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...934#fragment-2
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 25th, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis - missed the Q about the foam thing. Yes, that what Mustang users use and it sandwiches itself between the heater and fresh air opening. I've never used one in a Falcon, but can't imagine why they wouldn't work - unless the spacing it less on a mustang.

You can make a 2" core work, but you have to make "things" to wedge it in. I've seen cardboard and foam rubber, either of which are fine until they get wet - which shouldn't happen if all is good.

Both of these are doable, but both require a little McGuivering. But once done you've maybe saved money and nobody will be the wiser.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"